Parents, Take Your Sick Days
by Tim Sullivan
- Commit to taking time off when you’re not feeling well
- Try working from home—but only if you’re well enough
- Be direct when you call in sick
- Create standard practices with your team for sick time
- Set expectations with your family for when parents are sick
Recently, I did something radical: I took a sick day.
I hadn’t been well for a few days, but I’d dutifully worked per usual. When I woke up on day three at 4:30 in the morning sicker than ever, I realized that I had to actually take time off. Like, really take time off—no email, no memo writing, no “just checking in.” So, I did: I napped, played video games, cuddled the dog, watched Netflix, drank some broth. By the end of the day, ...