In this chapter, you will learn how to
• Understand, in an introductory way, the legal requirements that healthcare IT (HIT) professionals need to be aware of as they transition to the HIT industry
• Define business associate, covered entity, privacy, security, and protected health information
• Identify legal documentation requirements—what needs to be “baked in” or included in application development to meet legal requirements
• Understand the use of business associate contracts, creation of limited data sets, and requirements related to the reduction of legal risk as HIT professionals work with healthcare organizations and vendor partners
• Describe the implications for healthcare IT on the necessary requirements to assure privacy ...