In this chapter, you will learn how to
• Discuss the need for health data standards
• Describe the standards development process and the organizations involved in it
• Delineate the importance of interoperability
• Describe current health data standards initiatives
• Explore the value of health data standards
Standards are foundational to the development, implementation, and interoperability of electronic health records (EHRs) and other health information technology (IT) systems. The effectiveness of healthcare delivery is dependent on the ability of clinicians to access health data and information when and where it is needed. The ability to exchange ...