Wouldn't it be great if you could always get people to see things your way? Now you can.
You won't go far in business if you can't bring people round to your way of thinking. Some people find it easy; the rest of us just need a little help. How to Persuade and Influence People reveals some of the most powerful influencing and persuasion techniques known to man. This enhanced second edition contains new tools, new research, new case studies and plenty of practical exercises to help you:
Find the perfect way to win people over
Become an amazing negotiator
Appreciate and understand the other person's standpoint
Understand why people buy what they buy
Ensure people remember you and what you want
Build long-term trust and credibility
Philip Hesketh is a full-time international business speaker on the psychology of persuasion. Thousands of people have benefited from his advice. In this book, he maps out countless simple and memorable persuasion techniques that can be applied to a whole range of life's challenges. It's up to you to use them.
How to Persuade and Influence People is a completely revised and updated edition of Life's a Game So Fix The Odds.
Table of Contents
1. THE STARTING POINT-PEOPLE, BELIEFS AND RELATIONSHIPS
- 1. DARING TO BEGIN
- 2. THE ROLE OF THE SUBCONSCIOUS IN INFLUENCE
- 3. HOW TO BE MORE LIKED BY MORE PEOPLE
- 4. HOW TO REMEMBER PEOPLE'S NAMES
5. HOW TO DEVELOP GOOD RELATIONSHIPS
- 5.1. THE THREE PARTS TO EVERY CONVERSATION
- 5.2. MOVE INTO THE INNER CIRCLE BUT DON'T GET TOO NEAR THE VIOLINS
- 5.3. THE TISSUE PAPER THEORY
- 5.4. CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM
- 5.5. SAYING THE RIGHT THINGS AND ASKING THE RIGHT QUESTIONS
- 5.6. THE TOP THREE THINGS TO START SAYING
5.7. THE TOP TEN QUESTIONS TO ASK
- 5.7.1. 1 'What is the most important thing to you about...?'
- 5.7.2. 2 'Why do you ask?'
- 5.7.3. 3 'How was yours?'
- 5.7.4. 4 'If you were me, what would you do?'
- 5.7.5. 5 'I wonder if you could help me?'
- 5.7.6. 6 'How do you feel about that?'
- 5.7.7. 7 'Can you tell me more about that?'
- 5.7.8. 8 'What makes you say that?'
- 5.7.9. 9 'What can I do to help you?'
- 5.7.10. 10 'What is the most irritating thing about me?'
2. PERSUASION AND INFLUENCE
- 6. THE FIVE KEYS TO PERSUASION AND INFLUENCE
- 7. HOW TO CREATE GENUINE EMPATHY
- 8. ASKING QUESTIONS AND ACCEPTING THE ANSWERS
- 9. UNDERSTANDING IMPLICATIONS AND INFLUENCE
- 10. THINKING LONG TERM AND GETTING YOUR OWN WAY
- 11. THE IMPORTANCE OF PREPARATION IN INFLUENCING
- 12. DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS
3. OVERCOMING OBJECTIONS AND NEGOTIATION
13. TECHNIQUES TO HANDLE ALL OBJECTIONS
- 13.1. OBJECTION MANAGEMENT
- 13.2. EXPECTATION AND THE 'PYGMALION FACTOR'
- 13.3. FEEL, FELT, FOUND
- 14. THE FIRST FOUR STEPS TO NEGOTIATION
- 15. THE FINAL FOUR STEPS TO NEGOTIATION
- 16. GETTING PEOPLE TO DO WHAT THEY HAVE AGREED TO DO
- 13. TECHNIQUES TO HANDLE ALL OBJECTIONS
4. THE REASONS PEOPLE BUY WHAT THEY BUY
- 17. THE PSYCHOLOGY BEHIND WHY PEOPLE BUY WHAT THEY BUY
- 18. RARITY
- 19. EMPATHY AND EGO
- 20. AUTHORITY
- 21. SPECIAL DEAL
- 22. OBLIGATION
- 23. NERVOUSNESS
- 24. SOCIAL PRESSURE
- 25. HOW PEOPLE CHOOSE
- 26. PUTTING THE REASONS TOGETHER
- 5. HOW MEMORY, LEARNING AND COMMUNICATION WORK
6. TRUST, MOTIVATION AND WHAT YOU NEED TO DO NEXT
- 30. THE SEVEN THINGS THAT REALLY MATTER IN RELATIONSHIPS
- 31. HOW TO BUILD TRUST THAT LASTS A LIFETIME
- 32. MOTIVATION
33. SAY WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO AND DO WHAT YOU SAY
- 33.1. THE FLOW CHANNEL
- 33.2. FLOURISHING IN THE FLOW
- 33.3. ACHIEVING MORE
- 33.4. DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT ALL
- 34. INFLUENCE, PERSUASION AND THE PURPOSE OF LIFE
- A. PHILIP'S PURPOSE
- PHILIP'S DESIDERATA
- ABOUT PHILIP HESKETH
- Title: How to Persuade and Influence People: Powerful techniques to get your own way more often
- Release date: October 2010
- Publisher(s): Capstone
- ISBN: 9780857080424