There is an increasing realisation that small businesses, including architecture practices need to pro-actively engage with HR rather than simply firefighting when something goes wrong.
Good HR practices can help with business efficiency and profitability – they provide positive commercial tools that architects and other professionals can use to enhance their creativity whilst simultaneously increasing their commerciality.
This book will provide simple, pragmatic and practical advice, anecdotes and template documents for a variety of common situations that arise in the HR employee life-cycle, such as succession planning and staff engagement. Using examples from a range of different architecture practices, readers will learn how these organizations have successfully approached the issue of people management, by implementing tried and tested HR models.
For sole and small practices, this easy to digest book shows architects and other design professionals that HR can be a positive, profitable and even pleasurable tool for business success.
Table of contents
- SERIES EDITORS' FOREWORD
- ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- ABOUT THE SERIES EDITORS
- 1. THE PROFESSION
- 2. WHAT IS HR?
- WHAT IS RECRUITMENT?
- SUMMARY: THE VALUE OF RECRUITMENT
- 1. DEFINING REWARD: WHAT IT IS, OR SHOULD BE
- 2. IDEAS FOR FINANCIAL AND NON-FINANCIAL REWARDS
- 3. BEING CLEAR ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT TO REWARD
- SUMMARY: CREATING A REWARD STRUCTURE
- 5. RETAIN
- 1. WHAT TO RECOGNISE AND HOW TO DO IT
- 2. LEADERSHIP AND PROMOTION
- 3. SUCCESSION PLANNING
- SUMMARY: RECOGNITION AND LEADERSHIP
- 1. ADDRESSING PROBLEMS AND PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT
- 2. THE DISCIPLINARY PROCESS
- 3. THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COIN: THE GRIEVANCE PROCESS
- 4. DEPARTING EMPLOYEES
- 5. EXIT INTERVIEWS
- 6. RETURN
- SUMMARY: DEPARTURE AND RETURN
- 8. CONCLUSION
- Title: HR for Creative Companies
- Release date: July 2019
- Publisher(s): RIBA Publishing
- ISBN: 9781000702682
You might also like
Principal Designer's Handbook
The new CDM regulations came into force on 6th April 2015 changing the face of pre-construction …
Financial Analysis for HR Managers: Tools for Linking HR Strategy to Business Strategy
HR leaders and practitioners: master the financial analysis skills you need to become true strategic business …
The RIBA Plan of Work 2013 Guide: Design Management is part of a brand new series …
Commercial Client's Guide to Engaging an Architect
If you need to understand about engaging the services of an architect, this updated RIBA guide …