Chapter 2. The road to HTTP/2
- Examining the performance problems in HTTP/1.1
- Understanding the workarounds for HTTP/1.1 performance issues
- Investigating real-world examples of HTTP/1 problems
- SPDY and how it improved HTTP/1
- How SPDY was standardized into HTTP/2
- How web performance changes under HTTP/2
Why do we need HTTP/2? The web works fine under HTTP/1, doesn’t it? What is HTTP/2 anyway? In this chapter, I answer these questions with real-world examples and show why HTTP/2 is not only necessary, but also well overdue.
HTTP/1.1 is what most of the internet is built upon and has been functioning reasonably well for a 20-year-old technology. During that time, however, web use has exploded, and we’ve ...