INTRODUCTION TO HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT IN THE PUBLIC AND NONPROFIT SECTORS
After reading this chapter, you should be able to
- Understand the responsibilities and roles of human resources management
- Understand what constitutes public organizations
- Explain why civil service systems or merit systems exist in the public sector
- Understand what constitutes nonprofit organizations
- Identify the challenges facing human resources management today
Human resources management (HRM) is the design of formal systems in an organization to ensure the effective use of employees’ knowledge, skills, abilities, and other characteristics (KSAOCs) to accomplish organizational goals. HRM concerns the recruitment, selection, training and development, ...