Why a book about logs? That’s easy: the humble log is an abstraction that lies at the heart of many systems, from NoSQL databases to cryptocurrencies. Even though most engineers don’t think much about them, this short book shows you why logs are worthy of your attention.
Based on his popular blog posts, LinkedIn principal engineer Jay Kreps shows you how logs work in distributed systems, and then delivers practical applications of these concepts in a variety of common uses—data integration, enterprise architecture, real-time stream processing, data system design, and abstract computing models.
Go ahead and take the plunge with logs; you’re going love them.
- Learn how logs are used for programmatic access in databases and distributed systems
- Discover solutions to the huge data integration problem when more data of more varieties meet more systems
- Understand why logs are at the heart of real-time stream processing
- Learn the role of a log in the internals of online data systems
- Explore how Jay Kreps applies these ideas to his own work on data infrastructure systems at LinkedIn
Table of contents
- 1. Introduction
2. Data Integration
- Data Integration: Two Complications
- Log-Structured Data Flow
- My Experience at LinkedIn
- Relationship to ETL and the Data Warehouse
- ETL and Organizational Scalability
- Where Should We Put the Data Transformations?
- Decoupling Systems
- Scaling a Log
- 3. Logs and Real-Time Stream Processing
- 4. Building Data Systems with Logs
- A. References
- Title: I Heart Logs
- Release date: September 2014
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491909331
You might also like
Generative Deep Learning, 2nd Edition
Generative AI is the hottest topic in tech. This practical book teaches machine learning engineers and …
Designing Data-Intensive Applications
Data is at the center of many challenges in system design today. Difficult issues need to …
Designing Distributed Systems
Without established design patterns to guide them, developers have had to build distributed systems from scratch, …
Effective Java, 3rd Edition
Since this Jolt-award winning classic was last updated in 2008, the Java programming environment has changed …