Chapter 4. Installing Optimization Expert 107
4.5 Performing a silent install
Customers can install Optimization Expert on multiple workstations without being prompted
for parameters on panels. This method of install is called a
silent install. You can download
Optimization Expert or push down to perform the silent install. As in a traditional install,
hardware, software, and authority requirements must be in place prior to the install. This
includes administrator privileges on each workstation.
To perform a silent install:
1. Download Optimization Expert from one of the following methods to each workstation:
from CD, post SMP/E, or Web download.
2. Extract the Optimization Service Center files into a temporary folder.
3. response.txt is one of the files used. You can edit this txt file to change the location of the
installation package. The default installation directory is:
As an example, you might want to change response.txt to point to a different path, in this
4. On each workstation, execute silent.bat. A DOS command prompt opens to execute the
install. The result is a successful install.
5. To launch Optimization Expert from your Windows desktop, click Start → All Programs →
IBM Optimization Expert for DB2 for z/OS → Optimization Expert. Optimization Expert
opens, and the Welcome page displays.
Note: Optimization Expert requires that its software is downloaded and installed on the
client’s workstation. The install cannot use middleware for download and install
108 DB2 9 for z/OS: New Tools for Query Optimization