iExec Enterprise Essentials Companion Guide is the
official print companion to the Cisco® Entrepreneur
Institute’s new iExec Enterprise Essentials
curriculum—innovative IT-related business education designed
to help you transform organizations through the strategic use of IT
and Internet applications. Working through a realistic,
start-to-finish case study, you’ll learn exactly how to use
technology to help businesses enhance their processes and drive
sustainable competitive advantage.
Organized to fully align with the course’s online curriculum, this is the only authorized iExec textbook. You’ll begin by reviewing the global trends, opportunities, and strategic imperatives that now drive IT’s usage. Next, you’ll discover IT-enabled business strategies that increase productivity, efficiency, innovation, and profitability and learn how to trans-form any organization into an agile, high-performance Networked Virtual Organization (NVO). Through hands-on practice, you’ll learn how to assess and improve organizational readiness, enhance governance, Internet-enable internal and external processes, use portfolio management to plan business-driven IT investments, manage change, and more.
Martha L. Young, president and founder of Nova Amber, LLC, has more than 19 years of experience in the technology market, working and consulting with Fortune 500 companies such as Lockheed Martin and Coors Brewing Company. She holds a B.S. in international business from the University of Colorado.
Michael Jude, Ph.D., manages accounts for leading management solution vendors. He has more than 20 years of experience in telecommunications, as well as a Ph.D. in decision science from Walden University and an M.S. in engineering management and a B.S. in electrical engineering from the University of Colorado. Young and Jude are co-authors of The Case for Virtual Business Processes (Cisco Press).
• Master every topic and concept in the new Cisco Entrepreneur Institute’s iExec Enterprise Essentials curriculum
• Understand the global trends and business drivers behind today’s investments in IT and Internet technologies
• Build Networked Virtual Organizations that respond more quickly to customers, collaborate better with partners on value-added activities, and reduce cost by standardizing processes, data, and infrastructure
• Perform external and internal situation analysis, create an e-vision for success, and build an effective business case
• Implement strategic planning and portfolio management to create a successful Internet-enabled business roadmap
• Prioritize opportunities for process improvement using the Internet and IT
• Identify change management techniques that can reduce your risks
Category: Computers and Networking
Covers: Network Technology
Table of Contents
- Icons Used in This Book
- Command Syntax Conventions
- Welcome to the Business Essentials Program
- Course Overview
- Course Objectives
- Organization of This Book
1. Strategic Imperatives
- Global Trends and Strategic Imperatives
- The Impact of the Internet on Global Productivity and Competitiveness
- IT and Its Effect on the Organization
- IT and the Organization
- IT and Productivity
- IT and Efficiency
- What Is Innovation?
- IT and Innovation
- Innovation and Efficiency Case Example
- IT, Efficiency, and Innovation
- IT and Customer Satisfaction
- IT and Quality
- Market and Business Drivers
- Market Efficiency and Business Efficiency
- Drivers of Market Efficiency and Business Efficiency
- Efficient and Inefficient Markets and Businesses
- Business Scenario
- External Integration and Business Value
- External Integration
2. Management Strategies
Management and Strategy Fundamentals
- What Is Value?
- The Value Chain
- Cost Advantage and Competitive Differentiation
- Out-Tasking and Outsourcing for Competitive Advantage
- Tasking and Outsourcing Table
- Case Study 1: In a Decidedly Low-Tech Business, CEMEX Has a Surprisingly High-Tech Workforce Customer View
- Case 2: IBSG Helps FedEx with a New Generation Sales Force Automation Platform
- Case 3: British Airways—Getting in Shape with eWorking
- The Business Value Framework
- Networked Virtual Organizations
- Case Studies
- NVOs Delivering Returns
- Management and Strategy Fundamentals
3. Organizational Readiness
- What Is Organizational Readiness?
- Leadership: The First Pillar of Organizational Readiness
- Governance: The Second Pillar of Organizational Readiness
- Competencies: The Third Pillar of Organizational Readiness
- Technology: The Fourth Pillar of Organizational Readiness
- What Makes Internet-Enabled Organizations Successful?
IT Governance and Planning
- IT Governance: What Is It?
- The Leadership Guide
- The Governance Guide
- Governance: A Best Practice Example Insert Case Study
- Competencies: A Best Practice Example
- Organizational Readiness Planning
Readiness Assessment and Plan Development
- Why Assess Your Organizational Readiness?
- Characteristics of Organizational Competencies
- Tools for Assessing Organizational Readiness
- Net Readiness Scorecard: What Do I Do with the Results?
- Organizational Readiness Improvement Plan
- 4. ICT Solutions
5. Strategy Development
- Business Review
6. Portfolio Management
- Portfolio Management
What Is Portfolio Management?
- The Business Performance Framework
- Review Current Initiatives
- Identify New Opportunities
- Prioritize Your IT Initiatives
- Build a Project Roadmap
Portfolio Management Example: Oasis Office
- iValue Matrix
- Which Projects Should Oasis Pursue?
- Building a Project Roadmap
- Business Process Management
- What Is Business Process Management, and Why Is It Important?
- Business Process and the Network Virtual Organization
- Project Life Cycle Management
- What Is Project Management?
- Barriers to Project Success
- Principles for Project Success
- What Is Project Life Cycle Management?
- Change Management and Adoption Strategies
7. Business Case
- Revision History
- Detailed Project Proposal
- Risks and Assumptions
- Sustainability Plan
- Financial Concepts
- Financial and Nonfinancial Justification
- Common Financial Calculations
- Which Calculation Is Best?
- Metrics and Key Performance Indicators
- 8. Conclusion
- Title: iExec Enterprise Essentials Companion Guide
- Release date: May 2008
- Publisher(s): Cisco Press
- ISBN: 9781587057724