We discussed the importance of monitoring the network in the previous chapter. Monitoring the network for parameters and trending those parameters over time will what is normal for the network. The important parameters that need to be monitored, among others, are as follows:
- Link states of LAN and WAN ports
- User port status for the active ports on the network
- Traffic utilization for links
- Memory and CPU utilization for network devices
- Protocol status for the protocols running on the network
Let's recall from our discussion in Chapter 8, Understanding and Configuring Network Security, in which network behavior can be used to baseline user plane traffic as well as using NetFlow. This metadata from the traffic flows can ...