VMware Tools are meant to enhance the performance of virtual machines. Its installation is optional; however, certain tasks and features are not available without it being installed.
VMware Tools installs itself as a service and starts when the guest operating system boots.
Its main functions are as follows:
- Pass information between the guest OS and host and send heartbeats to the host indicating that the guest OS is running
- Execute scripts if the power state of a VM changes
- Synchronize the time of the guest OS with the time on the host
- Allow the mouse pointer to move freely outside the console window
- Fit screen resolutions of the guest to the size of the console window or to that of the client's resolution when in full-screen mode
- Help create ...