Conclusions and Summary
What is Lean about? Lean is about reducing the lead time of a process. Applying Lean requires that we find the waste in the process, where waste is those activities that increase lead time but do not add value to a product or service. The seven deadly categories of waste guide us toward identifying it. The Lean methodology can be summarized by these steps:
- Define the metrics that are important for improving the target process.
- Construct a value stream map of the current process.
- Find waste and brainstorm process improvements.
- Construct a value stream map of the future process reflecting the proposed improvements.
- Prioritize the improvements and implement them, possibly using kaizen events for improvements ...