A comprehensive guide to quality improvement from the leading expert in information and data warehouse quality.
Each year, companies lose millions as a result of inaccurate and missing data in their operational databases. This in turn corrupts data warehouses, causing them to fail. With information quality improvement and control systems, like the ones described in this book, your company can reduce costs and increase profits from quality information assets. Written by an internationally recognized expert in information quality improvement, Improving Data Warehouse and Business Information Quality arms you with a comprehensive set of tools and techniques for ensuring data quality both in source databases and the data warehouse. With the help of best-practices case studies, Larry English fills you in on:
How and when to measure information quality.
How to measure the business costs of poor quality information.
How to select the right information quality tools for your environment.
How to reengineer and cleanse data to improve the information product before it reaches your data warehouse.
How to improve the information creation processes at the source.
How to build quality controls into data warehouse processes.
AUTHORBIO: Larry P. English is the leading international expert in the field of information and data warehouse quality. He is a columnist for Data Management Review and a featured speaker at numerous Data Warehousing Conferences. Larry chairs Information Quality Conferences held around the world.
Table of contents
- Cover Page
- Title Page
Part One: Principles of Information Quality Improvement
- Chapter 1: The High Costs of Low-Quality Data
- Chapter 2: Defining Information Quality
- Chapter 3: Applying Quality Management Principles to Information
Part Two: Processes for Improving Information Quality
- Chapter 4: An Overview of Total Quality data Management (TQdM)
- Chapter 5: Assessing Data Definition and Information Architecture Quality
- Chapter 6: Information Quality Assessment
- Chapter 7: Measuring Nonquality Information Costs
- Chapter 8: Information Product Improvement: Data Reengineering and Cleansing
- Chapter 9: Improving Information Process Quality: Data Defect Prevention
- Chapter 10: Information Quality Tools and Techniques
Part Three: Establishing the Information Quality Environment
Chapter 11: The 14 Points of Information Quality
- Deming's 14 Points for Management Transformation
- Point 1: Create Constancy of Purpose for Information Quality Improvement
- Point 2: Adopt the New Philosophy of Quality Shared Information
- Point 3: Cease Dependence on Information Product Quality Assessments Alone
- Point 4: End the Practice of Awarding Information Business on the Basis of Cost Alone
- Point 5: Continually Improve the Process of Data Development and Information Production
- Point 6: Institute Training on Information Quality
- Point 7: Institute Leadership for Information Quality
- Point 8: Drive Out Fear of Data Uncertainty
- Point 9: Break Down Barriers between Information Systems and Business Areas
- Point 10: Eliminate Slogans and Exhortations
- Point 11: Eliminate Quotas of Productivity with Metrics of Quality
- Point 12: Remove Barriers to Pride of Workmanship
- Point 13: Encourage Education and Self-Improvement
- Point 14: Accomplish the Transformation for Information and Business Quality
- Chapter 12: Information Stewardship: Accountability for Information Quality
- Chapter 13: Implementing an Information Quality Improvement Environment
- Chapter 14: Epilogue: Reaping the Benefits of Quality Information
- Chapter 11: The 14 Points of Information Quality
- Part Four: Appendixes
- Title: Improving Data Warehouse and Business Information Quality: Methods for Reducing Costs and Increasing Profits
- Release date: March 1999
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780471253839
You might also like
The Kimball Group Reader
The final edition of the incomparable data warehousing and business intelligence reference, updated and expanded The …
This book is for any manager or team leader that has the green light to implement …
Measuring Data Quality for Ongoing Improvement
The Data Quality Assessment Framework shows you how to measure and monitor data quality, ensuring quality …
Competing with High Quality Data: Concepts, Tools, and Techniques for Building a Successful Approach to Data Quality
Create a competitive advantage with data quality Data is rapidly becoming the powerhouse of industry, but …