Nearly everything you know about China is wrong! Yes, within a decade, China will have the world’s largest economy. But that is the least important thing to know about China. In this enlightening book, two of the world’s leading China experts turn the conventional wisdom on its head, showing why China’s economic growth will constrain rather than empower it. Pioneering political analyst Damien Ma and global economist Bill Adams reveal why, having 35 years of ferocious economic growth, China’s future will be shaped by the same fundamental reality that has shaped it for millennia: scarcity. Ma and Adams drill deep into Chinese society, illuminating all the scarcities that will limit its power and progress. Beyond scarcities of natural resources and public goods, they illuminate China’s persistent poverties of individual freedoms, cultural appeal, and ideological legitimacy — and the corrosive loss of values and beliefs amongst a growing middle class shackled by a parochial and inflexible political system. Everyone knows “the 21st century is China’s to lose” — but, as with so many things that “everyone knows,” that’s just wrong. Ma and Adams get beyond cheerleading and fearmongering to tell the complex truth about China today. This is a truth you need to hear — whether you’re an investor, business decision-maker, policymaker, or citizen.
Table of Contents
- About This eBook
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Praise for In Line Behind a Billion People
- Dedication Page
- About the Authors
Part I: Economic Scarcity
- 1. Resources: While supplies last
- 2. Food: Malthus on the Yangtze
- 3. Labor: Where did all the migrants go?
Part II: Social Scarcity
- 4. Welfare: Socialism with Chinese...actually no, not socialism at all
- 5. Education: Give me equality...but not until after my son gets into Tsinghua
- 6. Housing: Home is where the wallet is
Part III: Political Scarcity
- 7. Ideology: The unbearable lightness of the Yellow River Spirit
- 8. Values: What would Confucius do?
- 9. Freedom: Keep on rockin’ in the firewalled world
- Title: In Line Behind a Billion People: How Scarcity will Define China’s Ascent in the Next Decade
- Release date: August 2013
- Publisher(s): PH Professional Business
- ISBN: 9780133133929