Soon, the world’s information infrastructure will reach such a level of scale and complexity that scientists will have to approach it in an entirely new way. In this book, Mark Burgess focuses on the impact of computers and information today.
Table of contents
- Author preface to second edition
- Introduction: The Hallowed Halls
- I. Stability: Or how we base technology on science
- 1. King Canute and the Butterfly: How we create the illusion of being in control.
- 2. Feedback Patterns and Thresholds: How the relative sizes of things govern their behaviours
- 3. Digilogy: Cause, Effect, and Information: How transmitted information shapes the world from the bottom up.
- 4. All the Roads to Nowhere: How keeping things in balance is the essence of control.
- 5. Zero and the Building Blocks of Babel: How to forge the atoms of reliable infrastructure.
- II. Certainty: Living with incomplete information
- 6. Keeping It Together by Pulling It Apart: How weak coupling strengthened human infrastructure
- 7. Seeing Is Disbelieving: How to explain what we see and make use of it
- 8. The Equilibrium of Knowing: Or how not to disagree with yourself
- 9. Clockwork Uncertainty: The arms race between reason and complexity
- III. Promises: The chemistry of autonomous cooperation
- 10. The Concept Of Promises: Or why behaviour comes from within
- 11. The Human Condition: How humans make friends to solve problems
- 12. Molecular and Material Infrastructure: Elastic, plastic and brittle design
- 13. Orchestration And Creative Instability: Or why the conductor does not promise to blow every trumpet
- 14. Epilogue
A. Summary and storyline from the chapters
- Part 1: Stability
- Part 2: Certainty
- Part 3: Promises
- B. Chapter Notes
- C. References
- D. Acknowledgements
- E. About the author
- Title: In Search of Certainty
- Release date: April 2015
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491923078
You might also like
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …
UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook, 5th Edition
“As an author, editor, and publisher, I never paid much attention to the competition—except in a …
AWS Certified Solutions Architect Official Study Guide
Validate your AWS skills. This is your opportunity to take the next step in your career …
The Definitive Guide to Java Platform Best Practices–Updated for Java 7, 8, and 9 Java has …