1. OECD, “Aid disbursements to countries and regions.”
2. Rutherford and Arora, The Poor and Their Money, 41–42.
3. US CIA, The World Factbook.
4. Allen, “Savings Groups Global Outreach.”
5. Vinod Parmeshwar, who was to become my deputy director and who took the lead on developing the systems that ensured that the program ran smoothly, and Mamadou Biteye, who was then in charge of Oxfam America’s programming in West Africa and who was later to direct the regional office for West Africa for Oxfam America and later Oxfam Great Britain. Kathleen Stack along with Edouine François of Freedom from Hunger, Vinod, and Mamadou trained the local staff. Freedom from Hunger and Oxfam jointly developed the training manuals and training ...