In the Layers dialog, you may have noticed the Blend mode field, shown as follows:
This field is a shortcut to apply the Blend filter to an entire layer. This means that if any objects overlap on the selected layers, Inkscape will do a pixel-by-pixel blend of the two objects. Here's what each Blend mode option means:
- Normal: No filter added to the layer
- Multiply: Objects on the top layer filter the light from the objects on the bottom-most layer. (or from the background if a bottom object does not exist)
- Screen: The top objects add light to the bottom object
- Darken: The objects on top darken the bottom objects
- Lighten: The top objects lighten ...