Innovation is a key source of competitive advantage, but it remains frustratingly elusive for many organizations. Too many organizations try to improve innovation by focusing on one element at a time, particularly in the area of new products and services. They train individuals, hire more creative people, or create specialized innovation departments. Yet, for most organizations, these investments yield only disappointing results. They have not had sustainable solutions-practical and reliable programs that deliver long-term, predictable results. Instead, they have had an endless array of partial answers. They are left with an alarming innovation gap.
Innovative Intelligence answers the question: How can we close the innovation gap by making individuals and organizations systematically and sustainably innovative? The key to systematic success is to ensure that organizational practices and culture genuinely foster innovative thinking. Innovative Intelligence presents the case for a new focus for leaders centered on innovative thinking, and demonstrates how leaders can maximize the innovative capacity of their employees and teams. It shows how to embrace a culture of innovation and have it permeate throughout the organization, at every level.
Innovative Intelligence gives readers a clear roadmap and practical tools to make their cultures more supportive of innovation, identify and tap into the innovative intelligence in their workplace and develop leaders who can close the innovation gap for greater business success.
Praise forInnovative Intelligence:
"Innovative Intelligence is the most comprehensive, concise and systematic handbook I've seen on how to succeed at innovating for individuals and organizations. This is an indispensable road map for leaders who want to cultivate a winning culture of innovation or organizations who want to re-invent themselves to scale the next height."
Arkadi Kuhlmann, President & CEO, ING DIRECT USA
"Innovative Intelligence is a breakthrough book that redefines what innovation really means. The authors present a compelling view, grounded in psychosocial and organizational theory, rather than trendy quick fixes. Their approach to constructing, shaping, and sustaining a culture of innovation within an organization is rigorous, but practical and systematic. It requires rejecting conventional wisdom and shedding narrow perspectives for the promise of previously unforeseen and implementable solutions to the challenge of innovation."
Dr. Catherine Zahn, President & CEO, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH)
"The time is right for a book of this scope. The authors address the challenges created for organizations today by the complexity of change. They offer a step by step, practical systems approach to innovation. They wisely consider the individual, the teams they work in, the culture and the organization environment that's needed to support them, as well as the leadership required to take on these complex challenges. A very useful book for leaders who want to increase the level of innovation in their organization."
Stanley S. Gryskiewicz, Ph.D., Founder and Board Chair, Association for Managers of Innovation, Author ofPositive Turbulence
"Innovative Intelligence is an important and significant book. It asks a simple question which has a profound impact on any organization. The question is 'how can we make individuals and organizations systematically and sustainably innovative?' The practical and disciplined approach to 'asking the right questions,' finding innovative answers, and helping groups build structures for sustainable innovation is nothing short of brilliant. Innovative Intelligence is a must-read for all leaders."
Paul Alofs, President & CEO of The Princess Margaret Hospital Foundation
"Innovative Intelligence provides a detailed yet very practical guide for growing and embedding innovation in your organization today and in the future. It is a must-read for the forward-thinking leader."
Corey Seitz, Vice President, Global Talent Management, Johnson & Johnson
Table of contents
- Cover Page
- Title page
- Table of Contents
PART ONE: CLOSING THE INNOVATION GAP
- CHAPTER ONE: THE INNOVATION GAP
- CHAPTER TWO: LEADING THROUGH COMPLEXITY
- CHAPTER THREE: ACCESSING INNOVATIVE INTELLIGENCE
- CHAPTER FOUR: ECLIPSE OF INNOVATIVE INTELLIGENCE
PART TWO: INNOVATIVE THINKING
- CHAPTER FIVE: INNOVATIVE THINKING: AN OVERVIEW
- CHAPTER SIX: STEP 1: FRAMEWORK
- CHAPTER SEVEN: STEP 2: ISSUE REDEFINITION
CHAPTER EIGHT: STEP 3: IDEA GENERATION
- IDEA GENERATION IS A RIGOROUS PROCESS
- STAGE 1: PREPARE THOROUGHLY
- STAGE 2: INTRODUCE THE PROCESS
- STAGE 3: GENERATE MANY IDEAS THROUGH DIVERGENCE
- STAGE 4: DISCOVER MEANINGFUL SOLUTIONS THROUGH CONVERGENCE
- WORKING ALONE ON IDEA GENERATION
- LEVERAGING THE THREE INTELLIGENCES IN THE IDEA GENERATION STEP
- THE LEADER'S ROLE IN STEP 3: IDEA GENERATION
CHAPTER NINE: STEP 4: IMPLEMENTATION PLANNING
- STAGE 1: CONFIRM THE PREFERRED IDEA
- STAGE 2: ENGAGE IN RISK ANALYSIS AND DEVELOP MITIGATING STRATEGIES
- STAGE 3: PRESENT THE INNOVATIVE SOLUTION FOR APPROVAL
- STAGE 4: ENSURE AN EFFECTIVE HANDOFF TO THE TEAM THAT FOCUSES ON CHANGE IMPLEMENTATION
- LEVERAGING THE THREE INTELLIGENCES IN THE IMPLEMENTATION PLANNING STEP
- THE LEADER'S ROLE IN STEP 4: IMPLEMENTATION PLANNING
PART THREE: MAKING INNOVATION HAPPEN
- CHAPTER TEN: MAKING INNOVATION HAPPEN: AN OVERVIEW
- CHAPTER ELEVEN: LEADING INNOVATION
- CHAPTER TWELVE: CULTURE OF INNOVATION
- CHAPTER THIRTEEN: ORGANIZATIONAL PRACTICES FOR INNOVATION
- CHAPTER FOURTEEN: THE INNOVATION PLAN
- About the Authors
- Title: Innovative Intelligence: The Art and Practice of Leading Sustainable Innovation in Your Organization
- Release date: March 2011
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780470677674
You might also like
Programming Rust, 2nd Edition
The Rust programming language offers the rare and valuable combination of statically verified memory safety and …
Objectives and Key Results
Everything you need to implement Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) effectively Objectives and Key Results is …
Design Thinking for Strategic Innovation: What They Can't Teach You at Business or Design School
A comprehensive playbook for applied design thinking in business and management, complete with concepts and toolkits …
Fluent Python, 2nd Edition
Python’s simplicity lets you become productive quickly, but often this means you aren’t using everything it …