Learn how to get started with Apache Wicket 6
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results
- Learn to build a Wicket application
- Get to grips with the core concepts of Wicket
- Understand the lifecycle of Wicket
Wicket is a component-based Java web framework. In Wicket, the server side state is automatically managed as it is associated with components. With proper mark-up/logic separation, a POJO data model, and a refreshing lack of XML, Apache Wicket makes developing web-apps simple and enjoyable. There are no configuration files to learn in Wicket as it has powerful and reusable components written with plain Java and HTML. Instant Apache Wicket 6 will take you through the entire process of building web application using the Wicket frame work.
Instant Apache Wicket 6 aims to introduce the reader to Apache Wicket, an amazing Java framework. After you finish this book, you will be capable of developing Wicket applications, using the knowledge acquired in the book to explore more of the technology, and even contribute to Wicket’s community.
Instant Apache Wicket 6 starts by explaining what Apache Wicket is and its advantages, and then goes on to show how to set up the Wicket environment and how to build a “hello world” and a sign-in/sign-out application. After you learn the Wicket core concepts and apply them to the sign-in/sign-out app, you will use Maven in Eclipse to build Wicket applications. You will learn important concepts like lifecycle (objects and requests), models (Model, PropertyModel, and CompoundPropertyModel), markup (wicket:id, wicket:panel, wicket:extend, and wicket:child), and behaviors.
Table of Contents
Instant Apache Wicket 6
- Instant Apache Wicket 6
- About the Authors
- About the Reviewers
1. Instant Apache Wicket 6
- So, what is Apache Wicket?
Quick start – creating your first Wicket application
- Step 1 – creating a new Maven application
- Step 2 – understanding the structure of the project
- Step 3 – creating a class to represent the users
- Step 4 – extending the web application
- Step 5 – creating the sign-in page
- Step 6 – changing the HomePage content
- Step 7 – compile and run it!
- And that's it!
- Top 4 features you need to know about Wicket
- People and places you should get to know
- Title: Instant Apache Wicket 6
- Release date: August 2013
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781783280018