Learn everything you need to develop a feature-rich CakePHP app, from installation to deployment
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results.
- Focus on an iterative practical approach to learn the myriad features of CakePHP
- Learn about Models, Views, and Controllers as well as scaffolding, themes, behaviors, and routing
- Scaffold and generate your application code using the command-line “bake” tool almost exclusively
CakePHP is an exciting tool focused on writing web applications in PHP in a simple and fast way that requires less code. You can rapidly build prototypes using code generation and scaffolding. It doesn't require any complicated XML or YAML files. You just need to set up your database and you're ready to bake!
Instant CakePHP Starter contains several tutorials that together build a powerful and engaging application, and in the process teaches you many features of CakePHP, both common and obscure. It is not simply a listing and explanation of features you could get from reading the online documentation. This book is an exploration of the experience of installing, building, and deploying a CakePHP application in a step by step way.
This book begins by installing CakePHP locally, and then deploying your application to production.
We conclude with a discussion of the community. In short, Instant CakePHP Starter is a kick start to your experience with both CakePHP and its community.
Table of Contents
Instant CakePHP Starter
- Instant CakePHP Starter
- About the author
- About the reviewers
1. Instant CakePHP Starter
- So, what is CakePHP?
- Step 1 – preparing the development environment
- Step 2 – getting and installing the CakePHP application
- Step 3 – setting up the production deployment
- And that's it
Quickstart – building a web application
- Step 1 – architecture
- Step 2 – scaffolding with the command-line tool
- Step 3 – taking a look at our scaffolded app
- Step 4 – what else does "bake" do for us?
- Step 5 – deploying to production
- Step 6 – congratulations!
Top 6 features you'll want to know about
- What do we know at this point?
- Routing – naming matters!
- Views and themes
- Better URLs
- Adding the Install page
- Fixtures and automated tests
- People and places you should get to know
- Title: Instant CakePHP Starter
- Release date: April 2013
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781782162605