A practical beginner’s guide to getting started with Chef, an indispensable tool for provisioning and managing your systems’ infrastructure
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results.
- Learn the core capabilities of Chef and how it integrates with your infrastructure
- Set up your own Chef server for managing your infrastructure
- Provision new servers with ease and develop your own recipes for use with Chef
As any systems administrator will tell you, managing one server can be challenging, let alone a dozen or more. With Chef, you can make managing dozens or even hundreds of servers manageable and learn how to configure and deploy new servers.
"Instant Chef Starter" is a hands-on guide to managing your infrastructure. You will learn the benefits of using Chef as well as how to install, configure, and use the set of tools provided. The book will also cover developing recipes for use with Chef to install software and maintain configurations so managing dozens of servers is no more difficult than managing one.
Learn how Chef fits into your infrastructure, install the software, build your own recipes, and provision servers with ease.
This book covers installing your own Chef server to manage your infrastructure and software configurations. Discover where you can find existing templates for managing software packages and operating systems and then learn to write your own. After you have done that, learn how to apply operations, execute scripts, and manage configurations across an entire network with only one command.
Table of Contents
Instant Chef Starter
- Instant Chef Starter
- About the author
- About the reviewer
1. Instant Chef Starter
- So, what is Chef?
- Getting Chef installed
- Installation on a Debian-based distribution
- Manual installation
- Verifying installation
- Configuring knife
- Getting started with using Chef
- Bootstrapping servers
- Downloading and installing cookbooks
- Creating roles
- Applying configurations
Top features you need to know about
- Getting more in-depth with Chef
- Developing your own recipes and cookbooks
- Getting to know your knife (every chef's primary tool)
- Advanced data configuration using data bags
People and places that you should know
- Opscode resources
- Ruby resources
- Title: Instant Chef Starter
- Release date: February 2013
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781782163466