Build your web applications from the ground up with the Play framework for Java and Scala
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results.
- Get started with Play 2.1
- Build your own web application with Java and Scala
- Handle user input with forms and access data with Ebean, Anorm, and Slick
Play is a full-featured Java and Scala web framework for building modern, high-performance web applications. It is characterized by its simplicity and scalability.
With its lightweight, stateless, and web-friendly architecture, Play focuses on developer experience to make web application development fun.
Instant Play Framework Starter is the ideal companion to start developing web applications with Play. The building blocks of a typical web application are carefully designed following an on-going example.
Instant Play Framework Starter starts with a quick setup and running a first sample. Then, the anatomy of a typical Play application is outlined. More features are added step by step to an example application. The result is the prototype of a highly scalable web application.The example is implemented in Java and in Scala. It consists of building blocks you will find in every Play application. In particular, you will learn how views are rendered with the template engine, how HTTP routes are used to define the navigation rules, and how to separate the application logic of controllers from the business logic of the model. This separation is the result of a careful application design, which makes it easy to add features like data binding and validation. Finally you will see how easy it is to adapt different database access libraries.
Instant Play Framework Starter will help you to get started with Play and develop your first application. Packed with examples, it is easy to follow the design of a real-world application. You are able to compare the difference between a Java- and a Scala-based Play application and to decide which language fits your needs best. All topics covered in the book are described with the aim to serve as a reference for future web application development with Play.
Table of Contents
Instant Play Framework Starter
- Instant Play Framework Starter
- About the Author
- About the Reviewers
1. Instant Play Framework Starter
- So, what is Play?
Quick start – Creating your first Play application
- Step 1 – Creating a new Play application
- Step 2 – Using the Play console
- Step 3 – Modifying our application
- Step 4 – Setting up your preferred IDE
Top features you need to know about
1 – Designing a Play application
- Introducing our sample application
- Defining the domain model
- Designing the HTTP interface with the routes file
- Handling HTTP requests by controller actions
- Composing the UI from view templates
- Implementing the phone book views
- 2 – Dealing with user input
3 – Connecting to a database
- Accessing data with Ebean for Java
- Accessing data with Anorm for Scala
- Accessing data with Slick for Scala
- 1 – Designing a Play application
- People and places you should get to know
- Title: Instant Play Framework Starter
- Release date: May 2013
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781782162902