Discover how to get started using PostgreSQL with minimal hassle!
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results.
- Get your database online, back it up, and make it useful as quickly as possible
- Discover how you can utilize PostgreSQL's simple and dependable backup mechanism
- Illustrated platform-independent instructions that show you how to complete each step with confidence
PostgreSQL is an incredibly flexible and dependable open source relational database. Harnessing its power will make your applications more reliable and extensible without increasing costs. Using its advanced features will save you work and increase performance, once you've discovered how to set it up.
Instant PostgreSQL Starter will teach you how to install and use PostgreSQL for immediate benefit. A selection of advanced features has been chosen that highlights the breadth of its capabilities and usefulness for your applications. By the end of this book you'll be comfortable installing and using this powerful open source database.
Instant PostgreSQL Starter takes an absolute database beginner on a spirited journey from scratch through having PostgreSQL installed and usable, finishing with the basics down, and a sense of what else it can do for you.
After getting up and running, you'll learn how to insert, update, and delete data, as well as basic querying. You'll create and delete users and databases, and see how to store and query XML, search large text documents meaningfully, handle tree-structured data and unstructured key-value data, and handle a few special cases, such as passwords.
Packed with helpful examples and screenshots, you'll see clearly how to do each step. By the end of Instant PostgreSQL Starter you'll have your own personal database online and running, without any stress.
Table of Contents
Instant PostgreSQL Starter
- Instant PostgreSQL Starter
- About the Author
- About the Reviewer
1. Instant PostgreSQL Starter
- So, what is PostgreSQL?
- Quick start – creating your first table
- Top 9 features you need to know about
- People and places you should get to know
- Title: Instant PostgreSQL Starter
- Release date: April 2013
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781782167563