INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LANDSCAPE (NEW)
The main text talks about valuing and licensing specific items of intellectual property. This chapter takes a broader view. In this chapter you will see that:
- Intellectual property dominates corporate value.
- The generation of patented technology is accelerating.
- All industries make use of intellectual property.
- Foreign-based companies own significant amounts of U.S. intellectual property.
- Commercialization of intellectual property involves annual revenues of at least $5 trillion.
- Licensing intellectual property is a core strategy for many companies and universities.
1A.1 80% OF CORPORATE VALUE IS INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND INTANGIBLE ASSETS
In the past 30 years, intellectual property and intangible assets have become the dominant assets of major corporations. Ocean Tomo is an integrated intellectual capital merchant bank.1 It conducted an analysis of the largest companies in the ...