Book descriptionThe Sydney Hobart Yacht Race is among the most demanding sailing competitions in the world. Unpredictable seas make the 628-nautical-mile course grueling under the best conditions, but the 1998 race proved to be the most perilous to date when a sudden and violent storm struck. Winds gusted over 100 mph and monstrous 80-foot waves towered over boat masts. Six sailors perished and another 55 were saved in what became the largest search and rescue operation in Australia’s history. In the face of turmoil and tragedy, a crew of “amateur” sailors piloted their tiny vessel, the AFR Midnight Rambler, not only to the finish but to overall victory. While bigger, better-equipped yachts attempted to maneuver around the storm, Ed Psaltis and his crew made the daring decision to head directly into its path. Their triumph—perhaps even their survival—owes itself to an extraordinary level of teamwork: an alchemy of cooperation, trust, planning, and execution. Into the Storm chronicles their nearly four-day ordeal and draws parallels to the world of business, revealing 10 critical strategies for teamwork at the edge. Illustrated with examples from the story and compelling case studies, the book sheds light on what teams need to do to succeed in tough times. Finally, Into the Storm provides resources and tools to support teams as they navigate the chaotic seas of business today.
Table of contents
- Cover Page
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Dedication Page
- Map of the Sydney to Hobart Race
- Preface: At The Edge
- The Role of the Leader
Part One - The Story of the AFR Midnight Rambler and the Sydney to Hobart Race
- 1 - The Everest of Ocean Racing
- 2 - The Patriarch of a Sailing Family
- 3 - Nuzulu and the Start of a Winning Team
- 4 - The Midnight Rambler—A One-Off Boat
- 5 - The Ramblers—Run-Up to the Race
- 6 - The Aussie Competitors
- 7 - Sayonara—The Big Yank Tank
- 8 - Uncertain Weather—Buster or Bomb?
- 9 - AFR Midnight Rambler—And they’re Away!
- 10 - Sayonara—The Best Professional Sailors on the Planet
- 11 - AFR Midnight Rambler—Smokin’
- 12 - Sayonara—Temporary Humility
- 13 - An Ominous Forecast—Storm Warning
- 14 - AFR Midnight Rambler—Hard or Squishy?
- 15 - VC Offshore Stand Aside—A Twist of Fate
- 16 - Rescue from the Sky—Angels on Winches
- 17 - AFR Midnight Rambler—Hell on White Water
- 18 - AFR Midnight Rambler—Sharing the Helm
- 19 - Sword of Orion—Out of Control
- 20 - General Mayday—An Official Catastrophe
- 21 - AFR Midnight Rambler—Listen to that
- 22 - Sayonara—Tack the Boat
- 23 - AFR Midnight Rambler—A Commanding Position
- 24 - Sayonara—A Thousand Years
- 25 - Go the Rambler!
- 26 - Wake of the Storm
- 27 - Blue Water, Short Ocean—The Ramblers’ Record of Sustained Success
Part Two - Critical Strategies for Teamwork at the Edge
- 28 - Introduction to the Strategies
- 29 - The Research Challenge
- 30 - My Hobart
- 31 - Team Unity: Make the Team the Rock Star.
- 32 - Prepare, Prepare, Prepare: Remove all Excuses for Failure.
- 33 - Balanced Optimism: Find and Focus on the Winning Scenario.
- 34 - Relentless Learning: Build a Gung-Ho Culture of Learning and Innovation.
- 35 - Calculated Risk: Be Willing to Sail Into the Storm.
- 36 - Stay Connected: Cut Through the Noise of the Wind and the Waves.
- 37 - Step into the Breach: Find Ways to Share the Helm.
- 38 - Eliminate Friction: Step Up to Conflict—and Deal with the Things that Slow you Down.
- 39 - Practiced Resilience: Master the Art of Rapid Recovery.
- 40 - Tenacious Creativity: Never give Up—there’s Always Another Move.
- A Note to the Skipper
- The Parts of a Sailboat
- About the Authors
- Title: Into the Storm
- Release date: October 2012
- Publisher(s): AMACOM
- ISBN: 9780814431603
You might also like
Kubernetes: Up and Running, 2nd Edition
Kubernetes radically changes the way applications are built and deployed in the cloud. Since its introduction …
The Science Book
Discover 80 trail-blazing scientific ideas, which underpin our modern world, giving us everything from antibiotics to …
Kubernetes in Action
Kubernetes in Action teaches you to use Kubernetes to deploy container-based distributed applications. You'll start with …
The Savage Way: Successfully Navigating the Waves of Business and Life
Inspiring lessons on business and life from Frank Savage Frank Savage's is an unlikely success story. …