Chapter 2Descriptive Epidemiology in Community and Public Health
After reading this chapter you should be able to
- Define epidemiology, and differentiate between descriptive epidemiology and analytical epidemiology.
- Summarize the uses and functions of epidemiology.
- Explain the epidemiological triad.
- Differentiate between rates, ratios, proportions, and percentages.
- Describe measures of mortality and morbidity.
- Identify composite measures of mortality and morbidity used in epidemiology.
- Describe key aspects of the distribution of factors by time, place, and person.
This chapter has been designed to give an overview of the use of descriptive epidemiology in community and public health. Included in this chapter are basic ...