After you read this chapter you should be able to
- Articulate the reasons why Americans are now enjoying longer life expectancies.
- Discuss how the aging of the population will affect the future of the health care system.
- Explain the highlights of the history of long-term care in the United States.
- Describe the three categories of long-term care services, including their settings and typical patients or clients.
- Explain the common methods of payment for long-term care services.
- Discuss the most common chronic conditions that affect Americans, including how many people they affect.
- Articulate each of the five challenges facing long-term care in the near future.