Want to create cool games and apps to impress your friends (or yourself), but not sure where to start? Or, have you tried your hand at programming, but got utterly bored after combing through hundreds of pages of dry text? Then you’ve come to the right place! This book is the perfect blend of education and fun for kids 8 years and above looking to learn the magic of Python, one of the easiest and most powerful programming languages around, all while solving fun puzzles and building your own projects on the way.
Yes, there’ll be chapters on the fundamentals of Python, such as variables, numbers, strings, automation with conditions, loops and functions, objects, and files. But, early on in the book you’ll get started with Turtle, a Python package that was custom-made for kids like you. It lets you literally draw and animate on your computer! Every concept will be interspersed with a fun mini project with Turtle, so you’ll never get bored. Once you get the fundamentals down, you’ll dive right into Tkinter and Pygame, more fun Python packages (goodbye theory!) and you’ll learn all about creating apps and games like the ones you see and use every day (bouncing ball, temperature converter, calculator, rock-paper-scissors, and so much more!).
There are also four capstone projects at the end of the book that convert everything you’ve learned so far into full-blown apps and games that you can show off to your friends, parents, and even teachers! You’ll be creating a snake game with Turtle, a tic tac toe game with Tkinter, a full-fledged paint app, again with Tkinter, and finally, a classic space shooters game with Pygame (the cherry on top). Every project chapter will be accompanied with the logic behind the game/app and an explanation on how you’ve arrived at the logic. You’ll develop strong problem solving skills that’ll help you create future projects on your own.
There are also two chapters dedicated to just creating fun mini projects and puzzles, one of them placed in the middle of the book to give you a welcome break from all the learning. The book ends with an overview on web development with Python and ideas for more fun projects and puzzles you can solve on your own. Become the “most likely to succeed” kid in your grade while having the most fun getting there!
What You'll Learn
- Gain a gentle, but thorough introduction into the world of programming and Python
- Create programs and solve problems with core Python concepts
- Build mini projects and capstone projects (showcase worthy) with Turtle, Tkinter, and Pygame
- Develop programming skills while doing the puzzles and activities described in the book
Table of contents
- Front Matter
- 1. Did You Know?
- 2. Let’s Install Python!
- 3. Your First Python Program
- 4. Python Loves Numbers
- 5. Let’s Play with Our Numbers!
- 6. Drawing Cool Stuff with Turtle
- 7. A Turtle Deep Dive
- 8. Play with Letters and Words
- 9. Follow My Command!
- 10. Automate a Little
- 11. Lots and Lots of Information!
- 12. Fun Mini Projects Galore!
- 13. Automate with Functions
- 14. Let’s Create Real-World Objects
- 15. Python and Files
- 16. Create Cool Apps with Tkinter
- 17. Project: Tic-tac-toe Game with Tkinter
- 18. Project: Paint App with Tkinter
- 19. Project: Snake Game with Turtle
- 20. Become a Game Developer with Pygame
- 21. Project: Space Shooters with Pygame
- 22. Web Development with Python
- 23. More Mini Projects
- 24. What’s next?
- Back Matter
- Title: Introduction to Python for Kids : Learn Python the Fun Way by Completing Activities and Solving Puzzles
- Release date: June 2021
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781484268124
You might also like
Hello World! Third Edition
Hello World! Computer Programming for Kids and Other Beginners, Third Edition introduces the world of computer …
Programming Rust, 2nd Edition
The Rust programming language offers the rare and valuable combination of statically verified memory safety and …
Grokking Algorithms is a friendly take on this core computer science topic. In it, you'll learn …
Python Workout presents 50 exercises that focus on key Python 3 features. In it, expert Python …