Intrigued by Python? Learn how to get started with this popular language, whether you’re new to programming or just new to Python. This engaging video course teaches you Python’s core concepts and data types through hands-on exercises, and delivers fun and useful projects so you can put everything together.
With an emphasis on code readability, Python enables programmers to express concepts in fewer lines of code than you can with many other languages. Open source developer Jessica McKellar helps you discover what’s possible with Python and provides the foundation you need to begin writing programs of your own.
- Set up a development environment with Python and a text editor
- Explore basic data types such as integers, strings, lists, and dictionaries
- Learn how looping lets you do lots of work with a little bit of code
- Gain access to more functionality in Python with modules
- Practice reading, writing, and running your first Python programs
- Navigate the command line for writing larger programs
- Write your own functions for encapsulating useful work
- Use classes to group, name, and reuse functions and variables
- Practice what you’ve learned with the state capitals quizzer and Scrabble cheater projects
Table of contents
Introduction to Python
- What Can You Do With Python?
- Environment Setup
- Python Basic Data Types
- Making Choices: booleans, if/elif/else, compound conditionals.
- Command Line Navigation
- Python Scripts and Files
- State Capitals Quizzer
- While Loop
- Reading From and Writing To Files
- Files Practice: Flashcard Quizzer
- Functions Practice: Wordplay
- Scrabble Cheater
- Course Closing
- Title: Introduction to Python
- Release date: April 2014
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491902141
You might also like
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …
Automate the Boring Stuff with Python
Automate the Boring Stuff with Python teaches simple programming skills to automate everyday computer tasks.
Python for Programmers, First Edition
The professional programmer's Deitel® guide to Python® with introductory artificial intelligence case studies Written for programmers …
Python Crash Course, 2nd Edition
This is the second edition of the best selling Python book in the world. Python Crash …