10+ Hours of Video Instruction
Get up and running in designing, and implementing ETL solutions using SSIS 2016.
Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) processes have become a necessity in IT today. Being able to move data from one place to another has become a cornerstone in just about every company worldwide. SQL Server 2016 provides Integration Services (SSIS) that allow database administrators (DBAs) and developers alike to create and deploy advanced ETL packages to leverage the data within their organizations.
Whether a company has a one-time data copy or a large ETL process to design, they want to be able to complete their work as easily as possible. With SSIS now being included with the SQL Server platform, it is one of the easiest and most cost-effective methods available to a shop running SQL Server.
IT shops can have hundreds of software developers, all running and developing applications for SQL Server. In addition, hundreds of third-party applications use SQL Server for storage. All this data, sooner or later, will require that companies be able to consolidate and analyze it. Familiarity with an ETL tool will become an absolute necessity when data needs to be moved for consolidation, reporting, and data mining.
Introduction to SQL Server 2016 Integration Services (SSIS) LiveLessons covers the basic building blocks of SSIS. Topics include design best practices, control flows, data flows, and deployment and scheduling of packages.
About the Instructor
Eric Johnson (MCSE, MCDBA, MCSD) is co-founder of Consortio Services, and the company’s primary Database Technologies Consultant. His background in information technology is diverse‚Äîranging from operating systems and hardware, specialized applications and development, to a fair amount of work on networks. Since IT is really just a way to support business processes, he also acquired an MBA. Eric has almost 20 years of IT experience, with a good number of those dedicated to working with Microsoft SQL Server. Eric has managed and designed databases of all shapes and sizes, and has delivered numerous SQL Server training classes and webcasts, as well as presentations at national technology conferences. He also does a good deal of writing, including the four-part series "Tour de SQL" published in Redmond magazine, and the book A Developer’s Guide to Data Modeling for SQL Server (Addison-Wesley, 2008). Look for Eric's other LiveLessons video training, including SQL Server 2016 Fundamentals for the Accidental DBA LiveLessons and SQL Server Replication Fundamentals LiveLessons.
Fully updated for SQL Server 2016, this LiveLessons will help you:
- Learn about SSIS data tools and control flows
- Produce better packages for data manipulation
- Gain an understanding of crucial topics like package deployment and configuration management
- Acquire the basics needed in order to maintain existing SSIS packages
- Achieve an understanding of all the programmability objects in SSIS and the use of each
- Attain an understanding of ETL process and how to best go about accessing and manipulating data
Who Should Take this Course?
- Any developer or admin who has needs to move data between different data sources and manipulate that data in flight.
- Also a good study resource for IT professionals pursuing Microsoft SQL Certification.
- Basic knowledge of SQL Server or another database management system.
- An understanding of basic data storage and design terminology is also helpful.
The LiveLessons Video Training series publishes hundreds of hands-on, expert-led video tutorials covering a wide selection of technology topics designed to teach you the skills you need to succeed. This professional and personal technology video series features world-leading author instructors published by your trusted technology brands: Addison-Wesley, Cisco Press, IBM Press, Pearson IT Certification, Prentice Hall, Sams, and Que. Topics include: IT Certification, Programming, Web Development, Mobile Development, Home and Office Technologies, Business and Management, and more. View all LiveLessons on InformIT at: http://www.informit.com/livelessons
Table of contents
- Lesson 1: SSIS Overview
Lesson 2: Control Flow Basics
- Learning objectives 00:00:52
- 2.1 Configure the execute process task 00:10:18
- 2.2 Use the expression task 00:08:21
- 2.3 Create file system tasks 00:14:13
- 2.4 Configure the FTP task 00:11:28
- 2.5 Code with the script task 00:08:28
- 2.6 Send e-mail with the send mail task 00:08:20
- 2.7 Implement for loop containers 00:07:37
- 2.8 Use the foreach loop container 00:13:04
- 2.9 Configure sequence containers 00:04:43
- 2.10 Use precedence constraints 00:10:05
Lesson 3: Data Flow—Sources and Destinations
- Learning objectives 00:00:58
- 3.1 Understand data flow sources 00:03:29
- 3.2 Connect to the OLE DB and ADO .NET sources 00:10:52
- 3.3 Use the ODBC source 00:06:44
- 3.4 Configure a flat file source 00:13:20
- 3.5 Work with the Excel source 00:07:41
- 3.6 Use the source assistant 00:03:50
- 3.7 Understand data flow destinations 00:03:13
- 3.8 Configure SQL Server and OLE DB destinations 00:08:25
- 3.9 Understand the ODBC destination 00:03:49
- 3.10 Use the flat file destination 00:07:33
- 3.11 Configure the Excel destination 00:05:39
- 3.12 Work with the destination assistant 00:02:25
Lesson 4: Data Flow—Transformations
- Learning objectives 00:01:11
- 4.1 Use data flow transformations 00:02:23
- 4.2 Configure the copy column transformation 00:07:50
- 4.3 Configure the data conversion transformation 00:07:53
- 4.4 Use derived columns 00:12:41
- 4.5 Implement the sort transformation 00:09:32
- 4.6 Configure the aggregate transformation 00:09:36
- 4.7 Use multicast 00:06:50
- 4.8 Understand the merge transformation 00:11:02
- 4.9 Use the merge join transformation 00:15:25
- 4.10 Configure a union all transformation 00:09:40
- 4.11 Set up conditional split transformations 00:11:42
- 4.12 Use the lookup transformation with an OLE DB connection manager 00:16:28
- 4.13 Use the lookup transformation with a cache connection manager 00:09:27
- 4.14 Understand the audit transformation 00:03:14
- Lesson 5: Using Scripts and Variables in SSIS
Lesson 6: Expressions
- Learning objectives 00:00:45
- 6.1 Work with custom expressions 00:03:06
- 6.2 Understand identifiers in expressions 00:02:01
- 6.3 Understand literals in expressions 00:07:49
- 6.4 Create custom expressions 00:12:28
- 6.5 Understand mathematic operators 00:10:56
- 6.6 Work with components that use expressions 00:10:18
- Lesson 7: Performing Database Maintenance
- Lesson 8: Debugging and Troubleshooting
- Lesson 9: Deploying and Storing Packages
- Title: Introduction to SQL Server 2016 Integration Services (SSIS): Getting Started with Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) Using SSIS
- Release date: May 2017
- Publisher(s): Sams
- ISBN: 0134679318
You might also like
Learning Spark, 2nd Edition
Data is bigger, arrives faster, and comes in a variety of formats—and it all needs to …
"Practical SQL is an approachable and fast-paced guide to SQL (Structured Query Language), the standard programming …
Amazon Web Services AWS LiveLessons 2nd Edition
More Than 17 Hours of Video Instruction More than 17 hours of video instruction on Amazon …
Learning SQL, 3rd Edition
As data floods into your company, you need to put it to work right away—and SQL …