This course demonstrates how to design, build and deploy WiFI connected IoT devices. It introduces you to a low cost ESP8266 IoT computer, shows you how to configure the ESP8266 using the Arduino IDE (integrated development environment), explains the Grove "no-soldering-required" prototyping system, and leads you through two start-to-finish IoT projects. Designed for learners with a very basic understanding of programming, electronic components (resistors, switches, etc.), and the interconnection between servers and browsers, this course requires the following IoT hardware and software: Arduino IDE, ESP8266 SDK, the Adafruit Huzzah, an FTDI Cable, and a set of Grove prototyping devices. Each requirement is explained at the beginning of the course.
- Gain a fundamental understanding of the Internet of Things-the IoT
- Build two working IoT prototypes using off the shelf components
- Learn to set up, configure, and program an ESP8266 IoT computer using the Arduino IDE
- Understand how to build an IoT web server
- Practice creating complex IoT devices using the Grove "no-soldering" prototyping system
- Learn to use the IOT messaging protocol (MQTT) with the Raspberry Pi and the Adafruit.io platforms
Dr. John C. Shovic, a 30+ year veteran of the electronics and computer industries, is CTO and Co-Founder of SwitchDoc Labs, a company specializing in producing cool products for the small computer maker movement (Raspberry Pi, Arduinos and others). He's founded many successful companies (TriGeo Network Security, Blue Water Technologies, etc.); served as Professor of Computer Science at Eastern Washington University, Washington State University and the University of Idaho; and has published 50+ papers on topics ranging from computer security to embedded systems and more.
Table of Contents
- Hardware and Software
- Building a Web Server
- Prototyping IoT Devices
- Conclusion and Where to Go Next 00:06:12
- Title: Introduction to the ESP8266 and the IoT
- Release date: August 2016
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491963449