INTRODUCTION TO SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION
- How to become a superuser?
- The duties and privileges of a superuser or a system administrator
- The details of /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files
- The method of providing security by using passwords, the crypt command and restricted shell (rsh)
- The management of disk space by using the du and df commands
- Taking backups as well as restoring of files/directories using the cpio and tar commands
- Details about an inode structure
- The implementer’s view point of a file system
- How is a file accessed by the system?
- How to attach (mount) and detach (unmount) file systems?
- The meaning of link files and how to make file links
The normal functioning of a system depends directly upon how well ...