Acclaimed investment experts Peter Treadway and Michael Wong explain how to protect your investments—and even profit—from the coming sovereign default crises
A major sovereign default crisis is looming for the so-called developed economies of the world. The result will be a major redistribution of economic wealth and an overhaul of the international financial system on an epic scale. Investing in the Age of Sovereign Defaults: How to Preserve your Wealth in the Coming Crisis explains what lies ahead, and offers invaluable suggestions to help investors avoid massive losses.
Explains why the West is headed for a major default crisis and how investors can protect themselves
Contends that the value of gold will continue to rise and that sooner or later government debt, including that of the U.S. and Japan, will be shunned
Written by investment experts Peter Treadway and Michael Wong
The days of the economic status quo are coming to an end. Investing in the Age of Sovereign Defaults shows investors what's coming and what investors must do if they want to escape unscathed.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Democracies’ Fatal Attraction of Populism
- Default, an Expanded Definition
- Debt Default in History—A Recurring Theme
- Nobody Likes a Lender
- Populism, Democracy, and the Road to Default
- The Demographics Are Awful
- The Special Roles of the United States
- Universal Suffrage—The Holy Grail or the Villain?
- Universal Suffrage—The American Story
- Rational Economic Man?
- Irrational Voters?
- Is a Meritocracy Good for Everyone?
- Do We Want a Meritocracy?
- Public-Sector Unions—We Vote for You, You Reward Us
- Debt and Macroeconomics
- Hyman Minsky: Another View of Debt and Macroeconomics
- Culture Counts
- One Note of Optimism
Chapter 2: The Sorry Fiscal State of the Advanced Countries
- Sovereign Debt/GDP
- Outlook for the United States
- Dismal Demographics
- Race and Ethnicity—An American Complication
- Unfunded Entitlements and Dismal Accounting
- And Then There Are the American States
- The Ownership of US Government Securities
- If Something Cannot Go on Forever, Then It Will Stop
- Europe—The Default Process Has Already Begun
- The Euro—What Should Have Been
- The United Kingdom—Not a Euro Country
- Japan—The Enigma
- Chapter 3: A Diversion to India and China
- Chapter 4: The International Monetary System—In Desperate Need of Repair
- Chapter 5: The Road to Worthless Paper Money
- Chapter 6: An Overall Assessment of the Current Investing Scene
- Chapter 7: Investment Survival in the Age of Defaults
- Appendix A: A Quantitative Approach to Sovereign Risk Assessment
- About the Author
- About the Contributor
- Title: Investing in the Age of Sovereign Defaults: How to Preserve your Wealth in the Coming Crisis
- Release date: March 2013
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781118247228