No need for engines like Unity: with Sprite Kit you can create 2D animated games directly for the iOS platform. Best of all, with this book you can learn the fun, involving way ? by creating your own game from scratch.
Sprite Kit, a new framework introduced in iOS7, has been designed as a built-in animation workflow for keyframing 2D animation without the need of engines such as Unity to serve as an intermediate. Sprite Kit enables the easy and fast development cycle, leaving more time to work on gameplay and polish, and less on tedious tasks.
This book offers a practical approach to game development with the Sprite Kit framework of iOS7 platform, by creating an endless runner game. You will gain a full understanding of the new Apple framework along with tips and tricks to interact with the game either by detecting taps, using sophisticated gesture recognizers, and moving sprites by dragging.
Starting with how to get your first sprite on screen, and then moving on to complicated physics and animations, we will be learning about the new features that iOS7provides for game development. You will also learn how to optimize your game performance, how to add animation files and create texture atlas in Xcode 5, and how to build different particles. By the end of the book, you will learn about leaderboards and ready-to-hand utilities for player authentication and secure player data transfer.
This book will teach you everything you need to know to create your own powerful and immersive games.
What You Will Learn
- Create and run your own animations
- Utilize particle systems and create custom particle effects
- Understand the physics engine and how to use it to your advantage
- Add support for new game controllers from Apple
- Optimize your game for performance
- Use gestures to control game-play
Table of Contents
iOS 7 Game Development
- Table of Contents
- iOS 7 Game Development
- About the Author
- About the Reviewers
- 1. Updates on iOS 7
- 2. Our First Sprite Kit Project
- 3. Interacting with Our Game
- 4. Animating Sprites
- 5. Particle Effects
- 6. Adding Game Controllers
- 7. Publishing to the iTunes App Store
- Title: iOS 7 Game Development
- Release date: January 2014
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781783551576