Praise for Bernard Lewis
"For newcomers to the subject[el]Bernard Lewis is the man."
“The doyen of Middle Eastern studies."
The New York Times
“No one writes about Muslim history with greater authority, or intelligence, or literary charm.”
British historian Hugh Trevor-Roper
“Bernard Lewis has no living rival in his field.”
Al Ahram, Cairo (the most influential Arab world newspaper)
"When it comes to Islamic studies, Bernard Lewis is the father of us all. With brilliance, integrity, and extraordinary mastery of languages and sources, he has led the way for[el]investigators seeking to understand the Muslim world."
"Bernard Lewis combines profound depth of scholarship with encyclopedic knowledge of the Middle East and, above all, readability."
Daily Telegraph (London)
"Lewis speaks with authority in prose marked by lucidity, elegance, wit and force."
Newsday (New York)
"Lewis' style is lucid, his approach, objective."
"Lewis writes with unsurpassed erudition and grace."
An objective, easy-to-read introduction to Islam by Bernard Lewis, one of the West’s leading experts on Islam
For many people, Islam remains a mystery. Here Bernard Lewis and Buntzie Ellis Churchill examine Islam: what its adherents believe and how their religion has shaped them, their rich and diverse cultures, and their politics over more than 14 centuries. Considered one of the West’s leading experts on Islam, Lewis, with Churchill, has written an illuminating introduction for those who want to understand the faith and the global challenges it confronts and presents. Whatever your political, personal, or religious views, this book will help you understand Islam’s reality.
Lewis and Churchill answer questions such as...
• How does Islam differ from Judaism and Christianity?
• What are the pillars of the Islamic faith?
• What does Islam really say about peace and jihad?
• How does the faith regard non-Muslims?
• What are the differences between Sunni and Shi’a?
• What does Islam teach about the position of women in society?
• What does Islam say about free enterprise and profit?
• What caused the rise of radical Islam?
• What are the problems facing Muslims in the U.S. and Europe and what are the challenges posed by those minorities?
Table of contents
- Praise for Bernard Lewis
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Dedicated to...
- About the Authors
- Chapter 1: The Faith and the Faithful
- Chapter 2: The Pillars of the Faith
- Chapter 3: Scripture, Tradition, and Law
- Chapter 4: The Mosque
- Chapter 5: Diversity and Tolerance
- Chapter 6: Sunni, Shi‘a, and Others
- Chapter 7: Some History
- Chapter 8: Government and Opposition
- Chapter 9: The Wider World of Islam
- Chapter 10: Islam and the Economy
- Chapter 11: Women in Islam
- Chapter 12: Dress
- Chapter 13: Language and Writing
- Chapter 14: War and Peace
- Chapter 15: Radical Islam
- Appendix: Some Practical Matters
- Terms and Topics
- Inside Back Cover
- Title: Islam: The Religion and the People
- Release date: August 2008
- Publisher(s): Pearson
- ISBN: 9780137154944
You might also like
The Arab World Unbound: Tapping into the Power of 350 Million Consumers
An expert's guide to exploring business opportunities in the burgeoning Arab marketplace This groundbreaking book reveals …
A Dictionary of British and Irish History
An authoritative and extensive resource for British and Irish history Quickly access basic information on the …
Foreign firms typically engage China as a sourcing location or as a market to sell their …
The Speculation Economy
American companies once focused exclusively on providing the best products and services. But today, most corporations …