Getting the team right starts with getting the right people—people who have the talent, drive, attitude, character, energy, and passion to add value to your culture, execute their master the art of execution (MAX) acts with excellence, and contribute meaningfully to the organization's ultimate few objectives (TUFs).
A short list of responsibilities to make this become a reality looks like this:
- Be a leader worth following. Demonstrate the character, competence, consistency, compassion, and commitment others want to follow.
- Stop overmanaging and underleading.
- Create a culture that attracts, develops, and retains the best. Continuously work to improve your five cultural pillars.
- Install the MAX process so that good people have the structure they need to fulfill their potential.
- Turn hiring into an elimination process. Stop making stupid, costly, emotional hiring decisions that everyone must endure day in and day out.
- Stop blaming the lousy people on your team for performance failures, and make sure you're doing your job to train, coach, and mentor them.
- Build relationships that earn higher levels of engagement from your people.
- Face reality and understand whether you're truly hoping or wishing.
- Use the three Ts filter to prune your less-than-optimal performers effectively.
- Stop defending the deadweight and deal with it.
- Don't become a lid on your people. Continue to grow so that you're better able to grow those around you.
There's plenty more to add that will ...