Video Description9+ Hours of Video Instruction
Java Concurrency LiveLessons, Second Edition teaches you how to develop high-quality concurrent software applications and reusable frameworks through the use of patterns, object-oriented design and functional programming techniques, and Java language features, including Java 8 lambda expressions, parallel streams, and completable futures.
The confluence of multicore and distributed-core processors, inexpensive mass storage, ubiquitous connectivity, and commodity software platforms is driving the need for software engineers and programmers who understand how to develop concurrent software for client devices that connect to cloud computing platforms. Despite many improvements in processors, storage, and networks, however, developing quality software on time and on budget remains difficult. Moreover, developing high-quality concurrent software apps and reusable services is even harder.
Java Concurrency LiveLessons describes by example how to apply patterns and frameworks to alleviate the complexity of developing concurrent software via the use of object-oriented design and functional programming techniques and Java language features and class libraries. Many Java application examples are used throughout the course to showcase pattern-oriented design and programming techniques for concurrent software.
Intermediate to advanced
What You Will Learn
- Recognize the inherent and accidental complexities involved with developing concurrent software for Java clients and servers.
- Understand how pattern-oriented software architecture techniques can and cannot help to alleviate this complexity.
- Apply key pattern-oriented software architecture techniques to develop reusable concurrent software using Java object-oriented design and functional programming language features and class libraries.
- Know where to find additional sources of information on how to successfully apply pattern-oriented software architecture techniques to concurrent software in Java.
Developers looking for practical coverage of developing pattern-oriented concurrent software with Java
- You should be familiar with general object-oriented design and programming concepts such as encapsulation, abstraction, polymorphism, extensibility, and the Unified Modeling Language (UML).
- You should be familiar with fundamental object-oriented programming language features such as classes, inheritance, dynamic binding, and generic types available in Java, C++, and C#.
LiveLessons Video Training series publishes hundreds of hands-on, expert-led video tutorials covering a wide selection of technology topics designed to teach you the skills you need to succeed. This professional and personal technology video series features world-leading author instructors published by your trusted technology brands: Addison-Wesley, Cisco Press, IBM Press, Pearson IT Certification, Prentice Hall, Sams, and Que. Topics include IT Certification, Programming, Web Development, Mobile Development, Home and Office Technologies, Business and Management, and more. View all LiveLessons on InformIT at http://www.informit.com/livelessons.
Table of Contents
- Java Concurrency: Introduction 00:06:19
Lesson 1: Overview of Java Concurrency
- Learning Objectives 00:02:34
- 1.1 Understand motivations for—and layers of—the Java architecture for concurrent software 00:09:44
- 1.2 Understand the key benefits of developing concurrent software 00:10:14
- 1.3 Recognize the inherent complexities of concurrent software 00:12:49
- 1.4 Recognize the accidental complexities of concurrent software 00:10:27
- 1.5 Putting all the pieces together 00:04:06
Lesson 2: Java Threading Mechanisms and Framworks
- Learning Objectives 00:01:53
- 2.1 Recognize the Java threading mechanisms available to program concurrent software 00:26:18
- 2.2 Understand the Java Thread lifecycle and how to manage it effectively 00:11:52
- 2.3 Comprehend how the Java Executor framework decouples thread management and creation from the rest of the application—Part 1 00:19:01
- 2.3 Comprehend how the Java Executor framework decouples thread management and creation from the rest of the application—Part 2 00:20:02
- 2.3 Comprehend how the Java Executor framework decouples thread management and creation from the rest of the application—Part 3 00:20:53
- 2.4 Understand how Java 8 functional programming features and concurrency frameworks can be applied to multi-threaded programs—Part 1 00:15:34
- 2.4 Understand how Java 8 functional programming features and concurrency frameworks can be applied to multi-threaded programs—Part 2 00:19:07
- 2.4 Understand how Java 8 functional programming features and concurrency frameworks can be applied to multi-threaded programs—Part 3 00:25:51
- 2.4 Understand how Java 8 functional programming features and concurrency frameworks can be applied to multi-threaded programs—Part 4 00:21:58
- 2.5 Putting all the pieces together 00:02:14
Lesson 3: Java Synchronization Mechanisms
- Learning Objectives 00:01:51
- 3.1 Understand the key Java synchronization classes in concurrent programs 00:11:53
- 3.2 Provide lock-free, thread-safe programming for single variables with Java atomic variables and operations 00:08:39
- 3.3 Ensure mutual exclusion and cooperation between threads with Java built-in monitor objects 00:17:47
- 3.4 Provide mutual exclusion mechanisms to concurrent programs with Java ReentrantLock 00:09:45
- 3.5 Provide readers-writer lock mechanisms to concurrent programs with Java ReentrantReadWriteLock and StampLock—Part 1 00:16:09
- 3.5 Provide readers-writer lock mechanisms to concurrent programs with Java ReentrantReadWriteLock and StampLock—Part 2 00:08:23
- 3.6 Enable multiple threads to control access to a limited number of shared resources with Java Semaphore 00:09:32
- 3.7 Enable concurrent programs to have multiple wait-sets per user-defined object with Java ConditionObject 00:12:23
- 3.8 Enable one or more threads to wait for operations performed in other threads to complete with Java CountDownLock, CyclicBarrier, and Phaser barrier synchronizers 00:30:54
- 3.9 Putting all the pieces together 00:02:12
Lesson 4: Case Studies of Concurrency Programming in Java
- Learning Objectives 00:02:02
- 4.1 Understand the design and implementation of a concurrent ping/pong application 00:30:27
- 4.2 Understand the design and implementation of a concurrent resource management application 00:28:48
- 4.3 Understand the design and implementation of a concurrent content downloading application 00:31:50
- 4.4 Understand the design and implementation of a concurrent content downloading application developed using the Java 8 concurrency frameworks 00:37:50
- Lesson 5: Source Code Analysis of java.util.concurrent Classes
- Java Concurrency: Summary 00:03:03
- Title: Java Concurrency, 2/e
- Release date: February 2017
- Publisher(s): Addison-Wesley Professional
- ISBN: 9780134510644