Chapter 18Casualty and Theft Losses and Involuntary Conversions

Casualty and theft losses are claimed on Form 4684 and then entered on Schedule A, Form 1040. If you have a qualified hurricane disaster loss (18.12, 18.13), you can claim the loss as part of your standard deduction (13.1) even if you do not itemize other deductions on Schedule A.

A loss of property held for:

  • Personal purposes is subject to the sudden events test (18.1) and a dollar ...

Get J.K. Lasser's Your Income Tax 2018 now with O’Reilly online learning.

O’Reilly members experience live online training, plus books, videos, and digital content from 200+ publishers.