Praise for Previous Edition of Joomla!: A User’s Guide
“A complete guide to the powerful features of Joomla! 1.5, this book takes a holistic approach to building a Joomla!-powered website–from the CMS itself to its many extensions, search engine optimization, and even building your own tableless template. The novice reader is eased into the subject and confidently guided through the basic principles and on to the more advanced features. This guide empowers the user not only to build a professional website but to also to make it a success.”
–Russell Walker, CEO, Netshine Software Limited (Joomla! Development Consultancy)
“If you’ve been using or following Joomla! in the past years, you’ve most likely seen the name Barrie North or Joomlashack. Barrie has been a member of the community for a long time and, as such, my expectations for this book were pretty high. Besides explaining how Joomla! works from a usability point of view, there is valuable information for people who want to learn serious template building, and readers can stand out of the crowd by using Barrie’s steps to make their (X)HTML and CSS optimized for accessibility and SEO. All in all, this book is a great guide that comes at the right time for newcomers and more experienced Joomla! users and developers alike. Well done, Barrie!”
–Arno Zijlstra, Joomla! cofounder, custom template specialist, www.alvaana.com
“In a time when solid, real-life Joomla! 1.5 information is rarely available, this book is a thirst-quenching oasis of knowledge. The abundant and clear examples in the book make Joomla! 1.5 websites within anyone’s reach. I heartily recommend Joomla! 1.5: A User’s Guide by Barrie North.”
–Tom Canavan, author of Dodging the Bullets: A Disaster Preparation Guide for Joomla! Based Web Sites
“Refreshing! After reading many how-to books, this one is a step beyond the rest because of its focus on examples based on live sites. This book is well crafted for beginners to advanced users with a well-organized overview that walks you through the entire Joomla! CMS.”
–Steven Pignataro, corePHP, www.corephp.com
“As a long-time Joomla! end-user and developer, I had low expectations for anything new I might learn from this book. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find it a great refresher course, especially since the book is logically organized, leading beginners from the most basic Joomla! concepts and continuing through to more complex ones, such as tableless template design and how to write a template for Joomla! 1.5. In summary, Barrie North has produced the gold-standard print reference for Joomla! 1.5. I highly recommend this book for novice and intermediate users if you want to make the most of Joomla!”
–Vicor Drover, http://dev.anything-digital.com
The Best Easy-to-Use Guide to Joomla!™−The World’s #1 Open Source Content Management System
If you want to build sophisticated websites that can be easily edited and updated, you need to master Joomla. Now there’s an easy-to-read, easy-to-use guide to Joomla for every site manager, administrator, and developer. Leading Joomla consultant Barrie North covers all you need to get results: installation, administration, site organization, template development, content updates, and a whole lot more. You’ll find tips, tricks, and troubleshooting solutions, as well as three start-to-finish case studies.
New to Joomla? No problem! This book starts with the simplest design and system concepts, and builds your expertise step-by-step. You’ll rapidly master Joomla’s power, even if you have no content management, scripting, or CSS expertise. Experienced with Joomla? You’ll turn to this book constantly for its authoritative, plain-English, example-rich Joomla 1.6 reference content.
• Understand content management, what Joomla does, and how its components fit together
• Build Joomla sites from scratch and systematically customize them to your needs
• Create modern, pure CSS Joomla 1.6 templates using popular grid frameworks
• Use Joomla 1.6’s nested categories to organize content and articles
• Create dynamic pages and effective navigation
• Work with Joomla modules and components
• Learn how to optimize your Joomla sites for search engines
• Follow three start-to-finish case studies: building a school website, a small business site, and a blog
• Identify the most valuable Joomla extensions and add-ons: find them and use them
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Praise for Previous Edition of Joomla!: A User’s Guide
- About the Author
- Chapter 1. Content Management Systems and an Introduction to Joomla!
- Chapter 2. Downloading and Installing Joomla!
- Chapter 3. Joomla! Administration Basics
- Chapter 4. Content Is King: Organizing Your Content
- Chapter 5. Creating Menus and Navigation
- Chapter 6. Extending Joomla!
- Chapter 7. Expanding Your Content: Articles and Editors
- Chapter 8. Getting Traffic to Your Site
- Chapter 9. Creating Pure CSS Templates
- Chapter 10. Creating a School Site with Joomla!
- Chapter 11. Creating a Restaurant Site with Joomla!
- Chapter 12. Creating a Blog with Joomla!
- Appendix A. Getting Help
- Appendix B. A Guide to Joomla! 1.6 ACL
- Appendix C. A Quick Introduction to SEO
- Appendix D. Installing WampServer
- Title: Joomla! 1.6: A User’s Guide: Building a Successful Joomla! Powered Website, 3rd Edition
- Release date: February 2011
- Publisher(s): Pearson
- ISBN: 9780132488013
You might also like
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
Angular Design Patterns
Make the most of Angular by leveraging design patterns and best practices to build stable and …
Fundamentals of Software Architecture
Salary surveys worldwide regularly place software architect in the top 10 best jobs, yet no real …
Fluent Python, 2nd Edition
Python’s simplicity lets you become productive quickly, but often this means you aren’t using everything it …