Build feature-rich online stores with Joomla! 1.0/1.5 and VirtueMart 1.1.x
Build your own e-commerce web site from scratch by adding features step-by-step to an example e-commerce web site
Configure the shop, build product catalogues, configure user registration settings for VirtueMart to take orders from around the world
Manage customers, orders, and a variety of currencies to provide the best customer service
Handle shipping in all situations and deal with sales tax rules
Covers customization of site look and feel and localization of VirtueMart
VirtueMart is a widely used component for adding e-commerce to a Joomla! site. VirtueMart covers all the aspects of e-commerce in an easy-to-use fashion and allows administrators to configure the various factors such as those of the shop, selling workflow, payment, products, and more. It also has many other features, which include managing customers and orders, so that every aspect of the shop is handled on-line for your comfort.
This book demonstrates the setting up of an on-line Joomla! e-commerce site from scratch using VirtueMart. It focuses specifically on e-commerce and VirtueMart. It teaches all the aspects of quickly setting up a feature-packed, easy-to-build e-commerce site—from basic installation and configuration of Joomla and VirtueMart through adding features step-by-step to an example web site to deployment.
The book begins with an introduction to VirtueMart with an explanation of its capabilities and how you can use it to earn money from your Joomla! site. This is followed by the necessary installation and configuration of Joomla! and VirtueMart to enable you to lay the foundation of your web site. Then it explains configuration of the VirtueMart store, which includes payment and shipping methods, configuring zones, and currencies.
The book then looks at managing products, customers, and orders, and customizing the web site appearance, all through demonstration so that you can build your own store with minimum effort, investment, and time. It also illustrates the promotion and public-relations factors such as banner ads, featured products, coupons, and more, so that you can build a wide customer base. It follows this up with examples of more advanced features such as localization and using extensions for bulk import/export of products to your VirtueMart shop, to suit your individual store needs. Maintenance, troubleshooting, and security, which are essential for running your site, are also explained. There is also an Appendix provided for configuring shipping and payment modules.
Table of Contents
Joomla! E-Commerce with VirtueMart
- Table of Contents
- Joomla! E-Commerce with VirtueMart
- About the author
- About the reviewers
1. Introduction to Joomla! and E-Commerce
- What is Joomla!?
- Main features of Joomla!
- Use of Joomla!
- Joomla! and e-commerce
- What is VirtueMart?
- Features of VirtueMart
- Joomla! and other shopping carts
- Store example used in this book
2. Installation and Basic Configuration of Joomla! and VirtueMart
- Pre-requisites for installation
- Creating database for Joomla!
- Brief installation process for Joomla!
- Basic configuration of Joomla!
- Basic administration of Joomla!
- Installation of VirtueMart
- Basic configuration of VirtueMart
3. Configuring the VirtueMart Store
- VirtueMart administration panel
- Store information
- Shop configuration
- Managing countries
- Managing currencies
- Using shipping modules
- Using payment modules
- Adding tax rates
4. Managing product catalog
- Catalogue management
- Managing manufacturers
- Managing vendors
- Managing product categories
- Adding a product
- Adding multiple product images
- Adding extra files with products
- Configuring downloadable products
- Using attributes
- Using product types
5. Managing Customers and Orders
- Registration/Authentication of customers
- Managing fields for user registration form
- User manager
- User groups
- Group permissions
- Managing orders
- Customer management
6. Customizing the Look and Feel
- Configuring the look and feel of a Joomla! site
- Customizing VirtueMart's look and feel
- Using search engine friendly URLs
7. Promotion and Public Relations
- Customer reviews
- Newsletters and product notification
8. Localization of VirtueMart
- Why localization?
- Localizing regions and taxes
- Using multiple currencies
Using multiple languages
- Adding a new language to a Joomla! site
- Translating the site language
- Showing multilingual content
- Translating VirtueMart language files
9. Extending VirtueMart's Functionalities
- Bulk product imports and exports
- Using product tag clouds
- Using testimonials
- Improving product reviews by commenting
- Wholesaling from a VirtueMart store
- Using social networking and bookmarking sites
- Using AJAX updates for products
- Adding some spice to the shop
10. Maintenance and Troubleshooting
- Uploading the local site to web server
- Backing up files and databases
- Auditing and hardening security
Common problems and troubleshooting
- Joomla!-related problems
- VirtueMart-related problems
- A. Configuration Options
- B. Resources for Joomla! and VirtueMart
- Title: Joomla! E-Commerce with VirtueMart
- Release date: March 2009
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781847196743