Everything you need to know to plan and maintain a Joomla! site
Joomla! offers powerful functionality and ease of configuration, making it an immensely popular open source content management system. However, far more than simply downloading and installing Joomla! is required in order to create a dynamic web site. This book walks you through the critical steps that must be taken in the planning process prior to establishing a Joomla! site. Joomla! expert Jen Kramer reviews essential questions that need to be asked of a client, discusses technical solutions to a variety of challenges, and explains how a site structure should be organized.
I Want a Web Site and I Want It Blue — How Much Will That Cost?
Choosing the Right Technologies to Solve the Business Problem
Downloading and Installing Joomla!
A Brief Tour of the Joomla! Administration Interface
Creating and Configuring Menus
Installing and Configuring
Modules That Come with Joomla
Components That Come with Joomla!
Plug-Ins That Come with Joomla!
Adding Extensions to Joomla!
Home Page Tips and Tricks
Advanced Template and CSS Tricks
Site Maintenance and Training
Once the groundwork has been laid, you'll discover how to host and install Joomla!, and upgrade and maintain your Joomla! site.
Note: CD-ROM/DVD and other supplementary materials are not included as part of eBook file.
Table of contents
- ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- ABOUT THE TECHNICAL EDITOR
- 1. I Want a Web Site and I Want It Blue — How Much Will That Cost?
2. Choosing the Right Technologies to Solve the Business Problem
- 2.1. IS JOOMLA! THE RIGHT ANSWER FOR THIS CLIENT?
- 2.2. "CAN JOOMLA! DO THAT?"
- 2.3. THINKING ABOUT MAINTENANCE FROM THE CLIENT'S PERSPECTIVE
- 2.4. THINKING ABOUT MAINTENANCE FROM THE ADMINISTRATOR'S PERSPECTIVE
- 2.5. IDENTIFYING QUALITY EXTENSIONS
3. Downloading and Installing Joomla!
- 3.1. PLANNING THE INSTALLATION: LOCAL VERSUS HOSTED INSTALLATIONS
3.2. CHOOSING THE RIGHT WEB HOST
- 3.2.1. Ensuring Your Host Is Running Windows or Linux/UNIX
- 3.2.2. Ensuring Your Host Is Running the Right Version of PHP, MySQL, and Apache/IIS
- 3.2.3. Talking to Your Host about Its Backup Policies
- 3.2.4. Ensuring Your Host Can Respond to Your Questions and Problems
- 3.2.5. Ensuring Your Host Comes with a Good Control Panel
- 3.2.6. What the Web Host Gives You to Get Started
- 3.2.7. Dealing with Clients Who Want to Host Their Own Web Sites
- 3.3. DOWNLOADING JOOMLA!
- 3.4. INSTALLING JOOMLA!
4. A Brief Tour of the Joomla! Administration Interface
- 4.1. GLOBAL CONFIGURATION
- 4.2. USER MANAGER
- 4.3. MEDIA MANAGER
- 4.4. SITE MANAGEMENT TOOLS
5. In the Beginning There Was Content
- 5.1. CREATING A SITE MAP
- 5.2. DETERMINING WHERE THE CONTENT IS COMING FROM
5.3. UNDERSTANDING THE SCAM — SECTIONS, CATEGORIES, ARTICLES, AND MENUS
- 5.3.1. Creating and Editing Sections
- 5.3.2. Creating and Editing Categories
- 5.3.3. How Are Sections and Categories Related to Each Other and Your Content?
- 5.3.4. Section and Category Considerations
- 5.3.5. Site Map Considerations
- 5.3.6. Functionalities Using Sections and Categories
- 5.3.7. What Are Articles?
- 5.3.8. Advanced Article Features
6. Creating and Configuring Menus
- 6.1. USING THE MENU MANAGER
6.2. LINKING ARTICLES TO THE MENU
- 6.2.1. Linking an Individual Article to the Menu
6.2.2. Creating Blogs from Sections and Categories
- 126.96.36.199. Creating Section Blogs
- 188.8.131.52. Creating Category Blogs
- 6.2.3. Creating Article Lists from Sections and Categories
- 6.2.4. Menu Overrides from Articles and Which Setting Wins
- 6.3. MAKING MENUS SHOW UP ON THE PAGE
- 6.4. PRESENTING IMAGE-BASED MENU NAVIGATION
- 6.5. CREATING SPECIAL MENU ITEMS
- 6.6. CREATING MENUS FOR SPECIFIC USER CLASSES
- 6.7. HIDING YOUR SITE BEHIND A LOGIN BOX
- 6.8. CONSIDERING THE SECURITY OF REGISTERED USER INFORMATION
- 7. Installing and Configuring Templates
8. Modules That Come with Joomla!
- 8.1. CONFIGURING MODULES
- 8.2. EMBEDDING MODULES IN ARTICLES
- 8.3. CONFIGURING ADMINISTRATOR MODULES
9. Components That Come with Joomla!
- 9.1. CONTACTS
- 9.2. WEB LINKS
- 9.3. POLLS
- 9.4. BANNER ADS
- 10. Plug-Ins That Come with Joomla!
- 11. Adding Extensions to Joomla!
- 12. Home Page Tips and Tricks
13. Custom Templates
- 13.1. PREREQUISITES FOR CREATING CUSTOM TEMPLATES
- 13.2. WEB DEVELOPMENT WORKFLOWS
- 13.3. CREATING A CUSTOM TEMPLATE
- 13.4. SOLVING COMMON TEMPLATE PROBLEMS
14. Advanced Template and CSS Tricks
- 14.1. USING CONDITIONAL STATEMENTS AND OPTIONAL REGIONS
- 14.2. SETTING EXCEPTIONS FOR THE HOME PAGE
- 14.3. USING TEMPLATE OVERRIDES
- 14.4. CUSTOMIZING OTHER TEMPLATE FILES
- 14.5. CREATING MORE THAN ONE TEMPLATE FOR A SITE, BUT SHARING STYLES
- 14.6. UNDERSTANDING SUFFIXES
- 14.7. USING HIDDEN MENUS
- 14.8. CASE STUDIES
- 15. Site Maintenance and Training
- A. Jen's Favorite Joomla! Extensions
- Title: Joomla!® Start to Finish: How to Plan, Execute, and Maintain Your Web Site
- Release date: February 2010
- Publisher(s): Wrox
- ISBN: 9780470570890
You might also like
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Fundamentals of Software Architecture
Salary surveys worldwide regularly place software architect in the top 10 best jobs, yet no real …