Get a Jump Start on version control with Git today!
If you've worked on a web development project of any size, you've probably used Git, the most broadly adopted distributed version control system available. It enables you to store different versions of project files and directories, so you can roll back to an earlier one if something goes wrong. And since it's distributed, it smoothes the path for dev team collaboration.
This short, practical book will help you to:
- Understand Git's core philosophy.
- Get started with Git: install it, learn the basic commands, and set up your first project.
- Work with Git as part of a collaborative team.
- Use Git's debugging tools for maximum debug efficiency.
- Master Git workflow
- Take control with Git's advanced features: reflog, rebase, stash, and more.
- Use Git with cloud-based Git repository host services like Github and Bitbucket.
- See how Git's used effectively on large open-source projects.
Whether you're a Git newbie or you've been using it for some time but only really scratching the surface of its capabilities, this book will help you to gain a deep understanding of how Git works, and how to use it to streamline your workflow.
Table of contents
- Jump Start Git, Second Edition
- Notice of Rights
- Notice of Liability
- Trademark Notice
- About SitePoint
- About Shaumik Daityari
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Version Control
- Examples of Version Control in Daily Life
- Version Control Systems: the Options
- Enter Git
- Git and GitHub
Chapter 2: Getting Started with Git
- GUI Tools
- The Git Workflow
- Baby Steps with Git: First Commands
- Further Commits with Git
- Commit History
- The .gitignore File
- Remote Repositories
- Chapter 3: Branching in Git
Chapter 4: Using Git in a Team
- The Source Is the origin
- Optional: Different Protocols While Cloning
- Contributing to the Remote: Git Push Revisited
- Keeping Yourself Updated with the Remote: Git Pull
- Dealing with a Rejected Git Push
Chapter 5: Git Workflows
- The Centralized Workflow
- The Feature-branch Workflow
- Gitflow Workflow
- Forking Workflow
Chapter 6: Correcting Errors While Working with Git
- Amending Errors in the Git Workflow
- Debugging Tools
Chapter 7: Unlocking Gitâs Full Potential
- Advanced Use of log
- Tagging in Git
- Refs and reflog
- Checking for Lost Commits
- Stash Changes
- Advanced Use of add
- Cherry Pick
- GitHub CLI
- Chapter 8: Integrate Git in Your Development Cycle
- Chapter 9: Git GUI Tools
- Chapter 10: Conclusion
- Title: Jump Start Git, 2nd Edition
- Release date: May 2020
- Publisher(s): SitePoint
- ISBN: 9781925836349
You might also like
Leverage the power of Git to smooth out the development cycle Professional Git takes a professional …
Git Essentials - Second Edition
Dive and explore into the latest addons of the latest Git. About This Book Master all …
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …