No credit card required
Make Every Word Count
Try your hand at editing a poem.
Trust a word to do its work.
Use Fourteen Techniques to Eliminate Wordiness
Edit for three types of redundancy.
1. Delete redundant modifiers.
2. Delete redundant categories.
3. Replace redundant word pairs with single words.
Edit for four types of wordiness.
4. Replace wordy expressions with single words.
5. Delete hollow hedges and meaningless intensifiers.
6. Delete needless repetition.
7. Delete that for brevity; retain that for clarity.
Know how to start; know when to stop.
8. Avoid protracted introductions.
9. Use it, there, and what constructions carefully.
10. Trim sentence endings for closing emphasis.
Take the most direct route.
11. Prefer ...