Book DescriptionIf you are an editor or newsroom manager seeking new and more efficient ways of managing the ever increasing flow of information through your newsroom, this book will provide the information you need to make informed decisions about crucial organisational and equipment changes.
Case studies from newsrooms worldwide are used to present an overview of the information management tools and processes that are available to help journalists and media executives deal with information. Answers are suggested for some of the most pressing issues, including:
What are the factors driving change in newsrooms?
How are news organizations around the world re-organising their newsrooms to deal with information in new ways?
How are the opposing needs to cut costs and yet maintain journalistic quality being met?
What digital tools are currently available, e.g. for computer-assisted reporting?
How can reporters become more mobile?
How can trainee journalists be better prepared for operating within the changing newsroom environment?
Each chapter is supplemented by a 'how to learn more' section, suggesting further resources for tackling each issue.
Whether you are planning major change in your newsroom or simply wish to keep up with the latest industry trends, this is the book you have been waiting for.
Table of Contents
- About the author
1. Knowledge management and journalism
- Information a glut product
- From information scarcity to surplus
- Declines in circulation
- Technology a powerful driver
- Social and economic causes of change
- The role of media giants
- Changes in consumer attitudes
- Managing knowledge in the newsroom
- New skills for the knowledge age
- New approaches for a new age
- 2. The re-defined newsroom
- 3. The coming of convergence journalism
- 4. Intranets and knowledge management
- 5. New tools for journalists
- 6. Mobile journalism
- 7. How to involve and evolve the newsroom
- Title: Knowledge Management in the Digital Newsroom
- Release date: July 2013
- Publisher(s): Routledge
- ISBN: 9780240516776