Build Android applications in an efficient way with the exciting functional features offered by Kotlin
About This Video
- Develop and test an entire Android application using only the Kotlin language.
- Learn how Kotlin tackles many of the drawbacks of Java such as verbosity and null safety.
- Build apps entirely in Kotlin to ease the transition from Java.
Kotlin is a trending language for modern Android developers and enables you to build Android apps faster and more conveniently than in Java! This course helps Android developers switch from Java and to Kotlin for Android development; it teaches you the essential Kotlin features you need to know to do this!
This course starts by introducing you to Android Studio where you'll build your first application in Kotlin. After this, you will delve into the Kotlin Toolbox for Kotlin Android Extensions. You will also compare classes and functions in Kotlin and also control flow and loops. We'll discuss some problems in Java and how Kotlin fixes them, and how Kotlin tackles many of Java's drawbacks such as verbosity and null safety. You will also get into exciting topics such as extension functions. Finally, you'll build a Stock Trading app entirely in Kotlin while comparing some parts to Java to ease the transition.
By the end of this course, you will be comfortable developing an Android application using only the Kotlin language. You will no longer be dependent only on Java to do this.
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1 : Setting Up Android Studio
Chapter 2 : Get Going with Kotlin
- Building Your First Kotlin App 00:01:51
- Syntax – Classes, Functions, Variables, and Comments 00:11:18
- Mutable and Immutable Variables 00:04:51
Chapter 3 : Classes, Functions, and Control Flow
- From POJOs to Data Classes 00:07:33
- Visibility Modifiers 00:02:50
- Interfaces 00:05:34
- Object Oriented Support and Extending Classes 00:04:09
- Null Safety and Smart Casts 00:13:06
- Object Keyword and Singletons 00:07:01
- Functions 00:07:05
- Default Function Arguments 00:03:33
- Named Function Arguments 00:02:12
- Control Flow 00:07:18
Chapter 4 : Kotlin Toolbox – Kotlin Android Extensions
- Life after findViewById 00:03:44
- Integrating Kotlin Android Extensions in Our Code 00:01:51
- Recovering Views from XML 00:03:45
- The Magic behind Kotlin Android Extensions 00:04:16
- Kotlin Android Extensions on Fragments 00:02:57
- Kotlin Android Extensions on a Custom View 00:06:08
- Recovering Views from Another View 00:02:27
- Kotlin Android Extensions in 1.1.4 00:01:46
- Kotlin Android Extensions to Implement Parcelable 00:09:06
- Customizing the Cache Build 00:03:14
- Title: Kotlin for Android Developers
- Release date: February 2018
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781788996549