Build powerful and efficient Android apps with proven techniques and tricks to increase productivity
About This Video
- Take your programming skills to the next level and harness the power of Kotlin's rich features by writing cleaner, faster code.
- Go from Kotlin user to Kotlin expert by learning many exciting tips, best practices, and techniques for your Kotlin app development to make the code more robust and error-free.
- Work with expert tools and tips to improve application performance with Kotlin and save time and effort.
Do you want to see an increase in your productivity as an Android developer? With this course, you will discover new possibilities with Kotlin and improve your app development process.
In this course, you will work with interesting tools and techniques on examples which you can adopt straightaway. You will speed up your development with less coding and get faster results.
By the end of this course, you will be able to write faster, cleaner code and make your life easy as a Kotlin developer.
The code bundle for this video course is available at - https://github.com/PacktPublishing/Kotlin-Tips-Tricks-and-Techniques
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 : Techniques to Reduce Development Time and Code
- The Course Overview 00:03:42
- Using an Expression Body to Reduce a Function to a Single Line 00:05:03
- Making Code More Readable with when Blocks 00:06:12
- Simplifying Functions with Named Arguments and Default Parameters 00:04:31
- Using Extension Functions and Properties to Add More Features 00:05:41
- Multiple Method Calls on an Object for Easier Readability 00:03:45
- Chapter 2 : Tips to Make Code More Robust and Error-Free
Chapter 3 : Tips to Create and Use Classes Easier and Faster
- Simplifying Class Properties with Constructor Parameters 00:05:06
- Using Secondary Constructors for Additional Flexibility 00:03:53
- Implementing Custom Behavior for Fields for Adding Functionality 00:04:39
- Using Object Expressions for Thread Safe Calls 00:03:34
- Using Companion Objects to Replace Java Static Fields 00:04:14
Chapter 4 : Features to Use to Support Functional Programming
- Using Lambdas to Simplify Defining Functions 00:05:22
- Using Higher Order Functions for Clean Code Abstraction 00:04:41
- Using Immutable Collections to Support Safe Multithreading 00:05:00
- Using Filter and Map to Quickly Manipulate Collections 00:04:37
- Using Data Classes to Conveniently Package and Protect Data 00:04:55
Chapter 5 : Optimizations to Improve App Startup and Performance
- Using the Kotlin Bytecode Tool to Observe Additional Overhead 00:06:04
- Using Late and Lazy Properties to Delay Initialization 00:04:58
- Inlining Higher Order Functions to Avoid Additional Java Calls 00:05:09
- Applying const to Companion Object Properties to Avoid Generating Extra Methods 00:04:52
- Using Sequences to Avoid Creating Temporary Lists 00:05:07
Chapter 6 : KTX Extensions for Easier Access to Android APIs
- Using Core KTX Module for Easier Use of Android APIs 00:04:49
- Using SQLite KTX Module to Simplify Database Transactions 00:03:58
- Using Fragment KTX Module to Simplify Fragment Transactions 00:03:29
- Using Collection KTX Module for Extensive Collection Support 00:03:44
- Using Work KTX Module for Simplifying Asynchronous Requests 00:05:02
- Title: Kotlin – Tips, Tricks, and Techniques
- Release date: September 2018
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781789349641