Using packages for customization
Besides the described simple methods, there are packages providing sophisticated features for customizing the table of contents and the lists of figures and tables:
- tocloft gives extensive control over the typography of TOC, LOF, and LOT. You may even define new kinds of such lists.
- titletoc offers convenient handling of entries and is the companion to titlesec, a very good package for customizing sectioning headings.
- multitoc offers a layout in two or more columns using the multicol package.
- minitoc can create small TOCs for each part, chapter, or section.
- tocbibind can automatically add bibliography, index, TOC, LOF, and LOT to the table of contents. It's even capable of using numbered headings instead of the default ...