Book descriptionThe efforts of ethnic-minority librarians to become leaders in Western libraries are an important topic for any librarian working towards becoming a leader, with issues such as cross-cultural leadership relevant for all aspiring librarians.
Leadership in Libraries covers leadership in various areas, provides examples of successful minority leaders in different fields and statistical data on minorities and librarians in several countries. The title probes library school programs and their efforts to develop leadership skills among librarians in general, and among minority librarians in particular. The book begins by introducing the concept of ethnic-minority leadership, moving on in the first chapter to definitions by culture, profession, and gender. The next three chapters consider managers as leaders, leadership styles, skills, and leadership in school, public and academic libraries in the US, the UK, Canada and Australia. The final chapter includes instances of bad leadership, and offers a conclusion.
- Presents information on learning and developing leadership skills
- Assesses current and relevant statistical data on minority librarians in Canada, US and UK
- Explores information on leadership related courses offered in library schools
Table of contents
- Cover image
- Title page
- Table of Contents
- List of figures and tables
- List of abbreviations
- About the author
Chapter 1: Leadership as defined by culture, profession and gender
- Leadership and culture
- What is culture?
- How does culture shape a person?
- What is cultural intelligence?
- What is social intelligence?
- What is emotional intelligence?
- Leadership and occupation
- Can leadership be taught?
- Managers as leaders
- Leadership and discrimination
- Women and leadership
- So what is leadership?
Chapter 2: Managers and leaders
- Who are leaders?
- Who are managers?
- The origin of managers or management
- The evolvement of management
- Are there differences between managers and leaders?
- Libraries and their leaders and managers
- Motivating ethnic minorities
- Leaders and motivation
- What is motivation and how does one motivate others?
- Team motivation
- Classical theory
- Early behavioral theory
- Contemporary motivation theories
- Chapter 3: Leadership styles
Chapter 4: Leadership skills
- Time management and being organized
- Communication skills and cultural differences
- Kinds of communication
- Electronic communication
- Language and communication
- Critical thinking skills
- Conceptual and decision-making skills
- Fiscal skills
- Technical skills
- Human relations skills (or people skills)
Chapter 5: Leadership in school, public, and academic libraries in the US, the UK, Canada and Australia
- School libraries and leadership
- Lack of applications from school librarians
- Public libraries and leadership
- What are public libraries doing about ethnic-minority leadership?
- Leadership programs for public librarians
- How can leadership help public librarians?
- Leadership in academic libraries
- Leadership programs for ethnic-minority librarians in the US, Canada, the UK and Australia
- Statistically speaking
- Ethnic-minority librarians survey
- Survey for deans and directors of libraries
- Survey for deans and directors of library schools
- Chapter 6: Conclusion
- Appendix A: questions for ethnic-minority librarians
- Appendix B: questions for deans and directors of libraries
- Appendix C: questions for deans and directors of library schools
- Title: Leadership in Libraries
- Release date: February 2012
- Publisher(s): Chandos Publishing
- ISBN: 9781780633084
You might also like
GRE For Dummies with Online Practice, 9th Edition
Take the guesswork out of the GRE The Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) is a standardized test …
Leadership (The Brian Tracy Success Library)
Nobody comes into the world a natural leader. But what is it that transforms some people …
The Little Book of Big Management Theories
89 management theories from the world’s best management thinkers – the fast, focussed and express route …
English Grammar Workbook For Dummies, with Online Practice, 3rd Edition
Improve your English grammar You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by using proper …