The practical guide to learning the essentials of starting your own business in just one week
Thinking about starting a business? Then Learn Small Business Startup in 7 Days is the book for you. Guiding you through the key aspects of getting a new business up and running, from a self assessment about whether you are really prepared, through to finance, marketing, and legal issues, highly sought-after small business commentator Heather Smith covers it all.
Carefully explaining everything you need to know to efficiently and effectively start a business, the book comprehensively covers the basics in 7 chapters, one for every day it will take you to get ready to leave the rat race and live your small business dream.
Covers everything you need to know to start and prosper as a small business owner
Helps you gauge whether running a small business is right for you
Offers expert advice from a highly-respected small-business specialist
While running a small business allows you to turn your passion into your livelihood, it is also often very demanding on your time, your cash reserves, and your sanity. With this book in hand, you have everything you need to lay a solid foundation for small business success.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Table of Contents
Day 1: Are you ready to start a business?
- Are you ready to start a business?
- What is a small business?
- Goals for running a business
- Are you suited to running a business?
- Work-life balance
- Finding a product or service to sell
- Does your business idea have merit?
- Researching your business idea
- Understanding your competition
- Understanding the business environment
- Evaluating the business environment
- Avoiding mistakes
- Getting additional help
- Day 2: Establishing your business
- Day 3: Getting professional advice
- Day 4: Marketing
Day 5: Finances
- Financing your business
- Banking and merchant facilities
- Business tax obligations
- Connecting with the ATO
- Choosing accounting software
- Accounting 'in the clouds'
- Understanding financial reports
- Accounts receivable
- Maximising income
- Accounts payable
- Minimising expenditure
- Bookkeeping procedures
- Budgets and forecasts
- Inventory management
- Financial benchmarks
- Day 6: People power
Day 7: Launching your business
- Launching your business
- Choosing a location
- Leasing space
- The home office
- Incubator opportunities
- Business equipment
- The paperless office
- Operational strategies
- Business procedures
- Franchising your business
- Before you give up your day job
- Juggling the business and your life
- Finding your first client or customer
- The business plan
- Appendix A: Business plan template
- Appendix B: Business plan for Mulrenan Gardeners
- Appendix C: Resources
- Appendix D: Glossary
- Heather Smith
- Title: Learn Small Business Startup in 7 Days
- Release date: April 2013
- Publisher(s): Wrightbooks
- ISBN: 9780730378259